Who's here now?

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Jim McConkey

Re: Who's here now?

Post by Jim McConkey »

Some have complained about our rules, and we have listened and relaxed many of them, but our number one rule has always been civility and we will not relax that one. It it has served us well for many years, and hopefully many more to come. A lot of other instruments forums have come and gone because they refuse to maintain civility and their members get sick of it. Thanks for the kind comments!
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

John E Giarrizzo wrote:Craig, Chet,
P.S. Craig --- I do have a very largeeeeeenough boca --- too large --- gets me in trouble sometimes. <bg>

Thank GOD!

Very often, saying what you really see, and how you feel about it, is exactly enough of a large boca, huh?

You simply post the honest truth... (as I far as I've encountered at least).
John E Giarrizzo

Post by John E Giarrizzo »

Thanks Craig.
Craig Tucker wrote:Very often, saying what you really see, and how you feel about it, is exactly enough of a large boca, huh?
Been told that before. Had several jobs/situations where I told the truth ---told what I saw --- said what was right --- and it got me thrown right out the door --- or ignored --- or...........

I've tried, but "My eyes won't close..."
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

John E Giarrizzo wrote:Thanks Craig.
Craig Tucker wrote:Very often, saying what you really see, and how you feel about it, is exactly enough of a large boca, huh?
Been told that before. Had several jobs/situations where I told the truth ---told what I saw --- said what was right --- and it got me thrown right out the door --- or ignored --- or...........

I've tried, but "My eyes won't close..."
I believe your speaking the truth, John.

No, I don,t believe you can close your eyes, once you've accepted what they see as the truth.
It seems to be the way of the world today, where you must bend in ''this'' or "that" particular direction to fit in.
I'd rather live in that world NOT as a part of the crooked norm. I've noticed that the only thing it REALLY effects, is the size of my paycheck!
But, I can live with that.

I'm thinking that everyone must bend to a degree, in order to live today in the world - it demands it.
I'm also thinking that it all so depends on where you decide the "crap" must stop.
You essentially draw a line in the sand.
michael walsh

Post by michael walsh »

I remember the cold bending method. Actually it may have been a search through the old Library but I certainly remember the technique because it was an unusual method.
Never did bend any Violin ribs using it though. Having said that a friend and myself used the method for bending the limbs of the recurve in a couple of Bows (as in Bow and Arrow). Worked very well - as did the Bows. Thanks to Craig.
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

michael walsh wrote:I remember the cold bending method. Actually it may have been a search through the old Library but I certainly remember the technique because it was an unusual method.
Never did bend any Violin ribs using it though. Having said that a friend and myself used the method for bending the limbs of the recurve in a couple of Bows (as in Bow and Arrow). Worked very well - as did the Bows. Thanks to Craig.
Wow! Very cool.

It was a workable method, huh?
I love when some odd techniques can cross successfully into other fields.
Thanks for posting this, Michael
michael walsh

Post by michael walsh »

It certainly did work. We made a former and slowly cranked the wood around the gentle curve, spritzing the wood with water. We aren't referring to the type of tight curves that are found on the Violin 'C' s. . . . . but then again the wood was 5 mm thick Ash!
I had one of the Bows hanging on a peg in the workshop for a couple of years, along with a couple of Arrows that we had made. Everyday folk were always fascinated with this weapon of war, more so than the Guitars, Violins and a Cello that I had hanging around the workshop. The bow was a fun build and an interesting distraction from musical instruments. . . . we even made our own Bow string. Fun times. Beats rehairing Bows and trawling through the Maestronet archives ;)
I was disheartened to hear of your stroke. Always thought you were one of the more sensible and interesting posters on that forum. I'm more into a tin of store bought goo than boiling dangerous substances in the back yard. More pragmatic. You won't know me from that forum. I lurked a lot.
Cliff Green

Post by Cliff Green »

Hello from an inveterate lurker. I haven't visited here for a while but I do recognize some names from the past. I built my first violin in Bill Moll's class around 1998, the same class as Jim. I also took CT's rehair class and Amy Hopkin's inlay class here. Since then I've built 20 violins, 5 Cellos and 2 violas. There used to be a hoard of violin builders here, but with time they sort of filtered away for what ever reason. Personally, I took a break in 2005 to build my house and then two years to help my father into the next plane of existence. I've now got my shop set up and have been building for the past year. It's amazing how your skills slide when you take a long break

Perhaps a rehair how to by CT would breathe some new life here. It would also be great to have another violin building thread,

Cliff
John E Giarrizzo

Hello Cliff. Ya, I remember you too from back then.

I also have built 20 violins (and 1 classical guitar). Putting the finish on 19 and 20 as I speak. I am going to keep making until I get one with a finish that I am happy with <g>
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

John E Giarrizzo wrote:Hello Cliff. Ya, I remember you too from back then.

I also have built 20 violins (and 1 classical guitar). Putting the finish on 19 and 20 as I speak. I am going to keep making until I get one with a finish that I am happy with <g>

So, you plan on making violins for the rest of your life, huh?

(tee hee)

Ok, I'm game.

As I mentioned, my recent stroke has slowed me down quite a bit in EVERYTHING I do... In particular, with regard to how much I did before it. But the fact is, I'd love to start a new thread on rehairing, right here in "bowed string instruments and bows".

I've got a new digital camera (16 mp), and a new computer. So, shortly (after I learn all of the particulars involved in using and posting photos with them, I will start a new thread here.

As I can see, ther, is enough interested parties here now, and I would hope that people will respond and post of their own experiences and opinions in the thread. I like hearing of other methods and techniques by other luthiers.

This is a great idea - thanks all, for presenting it!
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

The violin making course was in 2001. I'm sure of that, because the violin I made for the course has that date written in it!
John E Giarrizzo

Craig Tucker wrote:So, you plan on making violins for the rest of your life, huh?
At least that long. Probably have to continue in that Big Workshop in the Sky
Craig Tucker wrote:As I can see, ther, is enough interested parties here now, and I would hope that people will respond and post of their own experiences and opinions in the thread. I like hearing of other methods and techniques by other luthiers.
I'd be interested. I started making a bow several years ago. Not finished. Bent the stick, made the holding fixture, the frog is almost finished, bought the hair and hardware. Sits on the shelf now. Plus could save a few bucks by doing the ones I try to play with.
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

My hair is long enough to do a bow, now, so I'd be interested, also. Be kinda neat, if not a bit creepy, to play my fiddle with a bow of my own hair....
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

No kiddin' Mario! I'd like to see that!
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

Mario Proulx wrote:My hair is long enough to do a bow, now, so I'd be interested, also. Be kinda neat, if not a bit creepy, to play my fiddle with a bow of my own hair....

I think I'd pay to see that...
Mario Proulx

Post by Mario Proulx »

I do have a paypal account, ya know..... Donations always 'preciated...!

<bg>

Would human hair(methinks I'm a real human, but I digress...) be too fine for a bow? Do I need to stop using conditioner for a year or so before "harvesting"? Would split ends create weird overtones or tuning issues?

So many questions....

<lol>
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

Mario,

I do believe, given a pair of sharp sissors, I'd be willing to try just about anything...

Listen man, all you gotta do is show up and stand still for a second.

Cool?
John E Giarrizzo

Now! This is how I remember things here:

Civil. Knowledgeable. Helpful --- and Crazy --- I mean eccentric.

That's why I can't stay away.
Chet Bishop

Post by Chet Bishop »

Craig Tucker wrote:Mario,

I do believe, given a pair of sharp sissors, I'd be willing to try just about anything...

Listen man, all you gotta do is show up and stand still for a second.

Cool?
How could he say no? All his questions could be answered in one grand hurrah!
Chet Bishop
Violin-family instruments
Forest Grove, Oregon
Jim McConkey

Post by Jim McConkey »

My new horse is a paint with a tri-colored tail. I don't think he would mind donating a few extras for a unique-looking bow!
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”