Piano Wood Violin

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.
Chuck Tweedy

Re: Piano Wood Violin

Post by Chuck Tweedy »

Yea, that color would be from the wood. Oxidized deep into the wood.
Likes to drink Rosewood Juice
John E Giarrizzo

Post by John E Giarrizzo »

Thanks. I agree.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

John E Giarrizzo wrote:Barry,

Did an experiment. I think the color is from the wood itself.

Original color of Soundboard used:
Wood Color 100_1240-1.JPG
If you didn't plane the wood down to the white, then yes, that would explain the color at the seam.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Craig Tucker

Post by Craig Tucker »

John, you remind me of another friend of mine, who will make a violin out of any wood he chooses. His large stock of professional commercial violin wood, or wood from a tree he cut down himself, an odd tree in his backyard that he had no idea what it was, but it looked and felt right to use... (made a great violin by the way.)

(One violin he made had the belly and back, sides and neck, and f.b. made out of Makassar Ebony - made in the 70's - when you could still buy ebony in fairly large amounts reasonably)

In any case, this is a great project, superb looking violin - I'd love to hear it played.
In fact it would be nice to play it myself. (if I played well, it would probably be even better.)
I must admit that I have a huge weak spot for creations like this - something creative and a bit out of the ordinary. Piano wood violin!

Take care my friend,
Craig Tucker
John E Giarrizzo

Thanks Craig --- and so good hearing from you again.

I also like using unusal woods and combinations for my violins. I figure I am an amateur, and I don't sell them, so I am free to do my own thing. I've used an old maple kitchen table that was my Grandmothers. Several tops from a a 2X10 piece of pine/fir/spruce???? that I found in the parking lot of one of my jobs. It was all dirty and blackened. They used it to support a tow motor, but cut almost perfect on the quarter. My neighbor had several old table legs of ????. Made several necks out of them. Several from scraps of wood laying around my shop, etc., etc.

I'd love to have you hear the piano wood violin. If I'm ever out your way, I'll be sure to bring it. Never been west. Would love to see the stars from the desert. Can't hardly see them in the city

Again, so very good to be talking with you again. You helped me with number one on this forum. Now working on 19 and 20.

Your brother violin lover,

John
John E Giarrizzo

Thanks Emma!

Return to “Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows”