StewMac tools

Bowed suggestions for a Viola Da Gamba-ish

Please put any questions about repairing your instrument or the finish on it in our Repairs section.

Bowed suggestions for a Viola Da Gamba-ish

Postby Matthew Orifice » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:29 pm

i've been prototyping a new instrument that is in effect either a modernized viola da gamba, or a funky shaped arpeggione and i am at the point where it's strung up and actually has some hopes of sounding good ( i will be building a second with better wood and finish next year). it's a 28.5" scale 6 string tuned c-c with guitar intervals ( alolows me to use standard flatwound guitar strings).

I'm currently working with a violin bow, but i was wondering if i am likely to have more success with a cello bow and figured i'd throw it out there and see what y'all think.
Attachments
Arpeggione.jpg
Matthew Orifice

Re: Bowed suggestions for a Viola Da Gamba-ish

Postby Clay Schaeffer » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:50 am

The 'cello bow is slightly shorter and thicker than a violin bow and might drive thick flatwound strings better. A 1/2 size 'cello bow is even shorter and might be more comfortable for the playing position you are showing. Have you considered installing a long end pin and playing in a more 'cello fashion?
Clay Schaeffer

Postby David King » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:12 pm

This reminds me a little of the Togaman GuitarViols made by Jonathan Wilson.
David King

Postby Matthew Orifice » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:13 pm

i would be lying if i said i didn't get some of the ideas from his instruments, but it's a build i've been working towards for a very long time, it's actually far more viol than guitar (bass bar, sound post) with a touch of banjo thrown in. (the end pin actually goes all the way through the body into the neck)
Matthew Orifice

Postby Matthew Orifice » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:16 pm

I eventually did go to the 1/2 size cello bow, and playing position has migrated to about 2/3 of the way to a cello position, i'm going to turn a friction fit extension for the end pin to allow it to hit the floor, but i have some other versions on deck... specifically a minimalist version in bass ( think bowable bass VI but no real body to speak of).
Matthew Orifice

Return to Bowed Stringed Instruments and Bows