Primer for archtop

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steven Boldt

Primer for archtop

Post by Steven Boldt »

Hello, this is my first post. I'm putting a P-90 pickup in a Harmony Patrician that was a piece of junk. The back is off, the neck is off, did a re-fret, and the hole for the pickup has been cut and reinforced. I wanted to avoid stripping the finish but I couldn't. I did another Harmony and added a floating humbucker but I forgot what I used for primer. :roll: Will diluted hot hide glue with some alum do the trick? I'll be painting the top black and the rest natural (lacquer).
Mark Swanson

Re: Primer for archtop

Post by Mark Swanson »

We require the use of full names both first and last here. Please let me or one of the other moderators know your name and we'll change it for you, you can't do it yourself.
There is a difference between primer and sealer. I wouldn't use the hide glue solution for either. For a good sealer and basecoat you can't beat shellac.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Steven Boldt

Post by Steven Boldt »

Thanks Mark. My full name is Steven Boldt. Is the regular Zinzzer Bullseye shellac OK?

I'll send a pm.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

They make a product called "Sealcoat" that works great. Use that before the regular shellac.
And thanks, I'll change your name for you.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”