Angle of top of a tailpiece?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Kevin Stephen

Angle of top of a tailpiece?

Post by Kevin Stephen »

Can someone point me to some knowledge about the shape of the tailpiece? One of my designs is a reverse of the standard layout with the 6th string side being shorter. I would like to understand what difference the string length behind the bridge makes. Does that make sense? Most designs have the 6th string extending farther behind the bridge than the 1st string. I have seen a few like what I want to do, but I need to understand the science behind the design.

Thanks,
kev
I think that things should work the way I expect them to.
Kevin Stephen

Re: Angle of top of a tailpiece?

Post by Kevin Stephen »

So far, I am finding that the extra string length behind the bridge should help with intonation & maybe make a string feel a bit softer. Guess that would be a vote in favor of longer lower strings. Am I on the right track?
Cheers,
kev
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Kevin,
The afterlength of the string has no effect on intonation, is that something you read, or something you believe yourself? Afterlength does effect the compliance of the string, so long as the strings can move relatively easily over the bridge/saddle, and this can help to give the string a "softer" feel and make bends easier (although you have to bend further to achieve the same pitch change).
The afterlength can also sympathetically resonate with the strings ifit is designed to (or by accident). Many traditional stringed instruments like the viol family make sure to keep the afterlength a specific ratio with the vibrating length, 1:7, so as to avoid resonances with the played notes.

Personally I prefer a shorter afterlength, I like the strings to feel "tighter", and it also helps with tuning stability, especially after bends.

Anyway, just some thoughts, hope they help.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

There are all sorts of designs for tail pieces, and they all work, some better than others for one reason or another. Just do it. If it works, which it probably will, then you have a success, and if it doesn't work for some reason then you have an education.
Kevin Stephen

Post by Kevin Stephen »

OK, I'll try again! Last response didn't appear???
As regards the intonation, it seems that the compliance of the longer string would lessen the pitch change when fretting the string.

Cheers,
kev
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Ok, valid point Kevin, however intonation issues are not caused soley by the increased tension of fretting, but is mostly due to string stiffness and the phenomenom of inharmonicity. The Wikipedia article on the topic is quite well written if you'd like to read up. So the improvement would be minor at best.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Kevin Stephen

Post by Kevin Stephen »

Greg Robinson wrote:Ok, valid point Kevin, however intonation issues are not caused soley by the increased tension of fretting, but is mostly due to string stiffness and the phenomenom of inharmonicity. The Wikipedia article on the topic is quite well written if you'd like to read up. So the improvement would be minor at best.
Thanks Greg, I will check the article.

Cheers,
kev

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”