StewMac tools            

Chris Larkin's archtop neck joint

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Chris Larkin's archtop neck joint

Postby Beate Ritzert » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:45 am

In the net i found a build log of an archtop bass made by Chris Larkin (btw. a very impressive instrument, i had the chance to play it). To me the most interesting part of the build log is the neck joint - easy to make and with comparatively low demands on the precision. But the result is nearly inherently perfect.
Here a link to the relevant part of the documentation

To my understanding, that technique can also be used in connection with a violin type neck joint.
Beate Ritzert

Re: Chris Larkin's archtop neck joint

Postby Barry Daniels » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:39 pm

That is the neck joint first shown by Irving Sloane in his book "How to Build a Steel String Guitar" first published in 1975. This is the book that got me started. However, this is not exactly the modern or traditional approach. And not a joint that provides any ability for adjustment, and like you said "no precision". I would not recommend this joint. There are much better options.
MIMF Staff
Barry Daniels

Return to Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars