StewMac tools            

using two Piezo strips in a hollow nonadjustable bridge?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

using two Piezo strips in a hollow nonadjustable bridge?

Postby Eldon Howe » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:24 pm

Any ideas on using two Piezo strips in a hollow nonadjustable bridge?
I would think that the piezo strip would rest on a thin piece of wood/fiber material between the bridge base and the top plate.
Because my bridges are hollow I could use either one or two piezo strips.
My thoughts are that the piezo could travel through the top to the pre-amp as usual.
This is an interesting pickup that could be used. http://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/product/sa2/

Headway mentions this and that it would give a wooded tone as opposed the placing the piezo strip just below the saddle.
Eldon Howe

Re: using two Piezo strips in a hollow nonadjustable bridge?

Postby Mark Swanson » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:07 am

That looks like a piezo wire pickup to me. I use that stuff sometimes, mostly in mandolins but it can work well in a guitar too.
    Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Mark Swanson

Re: using two Piezo strips in a hollow nonadjustable bridge?

Postby Alan Carruth » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 pm

I've been using a wedge height adjuster for some time, similar to the way the D'Aquisto did it. It would be really easy to use an under saddle transducer in one of those, and you'd still have the height adjustment. There would be no problem in hollowing out the lower part either.
Alan Carruth

Return to Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars