When do you install frets?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Brian Evans

When do you install frets?

Post by Brian Evans »

I'm just curious about when people tend to install the frets. I am doing a bound fretboard, archtop, bolt on neck. I usually install frets when the neck is close to final shape, but still has finish carving to do, but is not installed. I wondered when other people did it. I like to do all the finish fret work before I install the neck. I've heard about people fretting before they install the fretboard, for example, and I never understood how that would work.

Brian
Bob Gramann

Re: When do you install frets?

Post by Bob Gramann »

On the flat-tops I build (not really flat--25 ft radius), I install the neck (bolt-on) and hold down the tongue with double-sided tape. Then, I use a radius sanding beam to get the entire surface perfect (the pencilled cross-hatching disappears). I remove the neck, and then fret. Even so, the frets require just a little dressing when the instrument is finished.
Alan Carruth

Post by Alan Carruth »

On my archtops I use a floating neck extension under the fingerboard end, and reinforce it with CF. I shape the fingerboard and install the frets before finishing the neck and body, and assemble it after finish if the neck is not done violin-style, with an end button on the back. On the ones where I used an end button I assembled the neck and body unfinished, then dressed the board and put in the frets before finishing.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Brian Evans wrote:...I am doing a bound fretboard, archtop, bolt on neck...

Brian
Sorry to high jack but how are bolt on necks done on an archtop?

-Eric
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

To tighten bolts on an archtop, build a long wrench for access through the butt block pin hole.

A few years ago I built a bunch of archtop necks and installed the frets while the neck was still square. This made pressing frets really easy. Then I masked the fretboard and was careful during neck carving and shaping. These days I fret before the fretboard is glued to the neck. Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages.
MIMF Staff
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

I agree with Barry, over the years I've tried many procedures to install frets but have settled on doing it with the neck square as you have a much more solid base to press the frets in. and with the fretboard glued on the neck first you can guarantee to get if flat before the frets go in.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Barry Daniels wrote:To tighten bolts on an archtop, build a long wrench for access through the butt block pin hole.
Thanks, I've been wondering how to do this well. It's seems bolt-on necks is where the craft has evolved to. I think I'll plan on doing them when I'm finally set up for building.

-Eric
Ed Lysne

Post by Ed Lysne »

I press the frets in after I finish shaping the neck. I always use/modify or build a jig to hold the neck and I set it up so I can bolt the headstock down. It's a bit more work...but the neck is rock solid in the jig. The jig is lined with cork for the backside of the neck... which keeps me from marring it. I press my frets in using my drill press and the Stewmac press tools (this is a great tool and I wish I had bought it sooner). I cut my own fret boards... and I really have a tight fit for the frets.... I used to use a little glue... but not anymore. I sand my fret board down to 800 and I get it perfect before I press in the frets. I do very little leveling anymore. The last two guitars I did none. My necks are all bound... I file back the tangs one at a time and try to get a really close fit between the bindings. When I'm ready to finish/spray... I mask the fretboard but not the binding. I carefully sand the binding (usually wood) between coats. I polish all my Nitro with micromesh... but I don't touch the binding on top where it meets the fretboard. Once it's all done... I remove the tape and use a buffing wheel on the fretboard, frets and binding. This seems to work and gives that little binding edge a nice finish and polish like the rest of the wood.

One issue I always have is liquid seeping under the tape on the fretboard when I'm wet sanding / polishing. I' have tried different tapes... but the best thing is to limit the moisture around this area when wet sending / Micro meshing. I use glass cleaner as my liquid when wet sending. I can spray it as needed... and when I'm done sanding... I just wipe it all up with a clean paper towel. Works for me.
John Mueller

Post by John Mueller »

Eric,
Search the Old MIMF library for "Jay Harland's bolt-on mortice and tenon joint for archtop necks" When Jay first brought up the topic of a bolt on neck on an archtop the overwhelming consensus of all the old time pros was, "It has been tried and it looks bad and does not work!"
Then Jay posted this thread. Deb edited out the "I'm sorry Jay, this is so well done. You were right." posts. The same people who said it would not work have embraced this method.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

John Mueller wrote:Eric,
Search the Old MIMF library for "Jay Harland's bolt-on mortice and tenon joint for archtop necks" When Jay first brought up the topic of a bolt on neck on an archtop the overwhelming consensus of all the old time pros was, "It has been tried and it looks bad and does not work!"
Then Jay posted this thread. Deb edited out the "I'm sorry Jay, this is so well done. You were right." posts. The same people who said it would not work have embraced this method.
Thank you, I found it and saved it. That's what I was hoping would work. Most things have been done before and it's great to find the resources.

-Eric

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”