laminating neck

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Brian Evans

laminating neck

Post by Brian Evans »

I have done laminated necks but as a rule I don't have a glue joint in line with the truss rod. My feeling is that the glue joint is weaker than unmolested wood and since the neck is so thin there I want as much strength as possible. So I look at many other guitars by great builders and many have decorative laminations right down the center line of the neck, some multiple and very thin, sometimes a quarter inch of contrasting color wood. Also, I have the filler strip on top of the truss rod and the finger board to add strength. Am I being too conservative in my design by not allowing a lamination on the center line of the neck?

Brian
Barry Daniels

Re: laminating neck

Post by Barry Daniels »

It is a well proven fact that a properly prepared glue joint is stronger than the surrounding wood.
MIMF Staff
David King

Post by David King »

It will depend on how strong the wood is to some extent but I'd say it depends a lot more on what type of truss rod you're using and how much tension you have to add to keep your necks straight under string tension. A single bent rod should never cause a problem while an over/under double rod can easily pop through the back of the neck at the nut if the adjuster is at the heel and there's less than 2-3 mm of wood behind it.
Eric Baack

Post by Eric Baack »

Brian Evans wrote:I have done laminated necks but as a rule I don't have a glue joint in line with the truss rod. My feeling is that the glue joint is weaker than unmolested wood and since the neck is so thin there I want as much strength as possible. So I look at many other guitars by great builders and many have decorative laminations right down the center line of the neck, some multiple and very thin, sometimes a quarter inch of contrasting color wood. Also, I have the filler strip on top of the truss rod and the finger board to add strength. Am I being too conservative in my design by not allowing a lamination on the center line of the neck?

Brian

I use a core box bit on the router so that the bottom of the slot is round then you don't have that sharp edge right on the glue line

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”