Archtop cleats questions

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Eric Knapp

Archtop cleats questions

Post by Eric Knapp »

Hello,

I've searched this forum, YouTube, and the Benedetto book and the internet and can't find the answer to this simple question. When adding small cleats to the top of an archtop are they shaped to the curves or are they clamped and glued to the curves? The old Triumpth I'm rebuilding had lots of cleats that were lost during its bath. There is one left and at its thickest it's 1/16" thick. It's about 1/2" by 1" and is tapered to nothing at the edges. It's so thin I'm sure it was very flexible when glued. The cleats at the ends of the f-holes are missing so I don't know what they were like. Should I shape them like braces or cut them thin and clamp?

Thanks,

-Eric
Brian Evans

Re: Archtop cleats questions

Post by Brian Evans »

I don't use cleats on an archtop's plates in a new build. If I was to, I would probably adjust the grain direction so they flowed onto the top, and were very thin. I don't think cleats are required at all, top or bottom. I do think reinforcement of the F-holes is required, mind you, fabric or otherwise.

Brian
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Brian Evans wrote:I don't use cleats on an archtop's plates in a new build. If I was to, I would probably adjust the grain direction so they flowed onto the top, and were very thin. I don't think cleats are required at all, top or bottom. I do think reinforcement of the F-holes is required, mind you, fabric or otherwise.

Brian
Thanks. What's the best way to reinforce the F-holes? This old guitar had thin spruce cleats with their grain perpendicular to the top's grain. As an old furniture maker I'm always suspicious of that practice and I'm all ears on the current best way to do this.

-Eric
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

Well, I use fiberglass cloth and epoxy. Others use cotton cloth and glue. Some use veneer, I guess. I never really thought about it before.
Eric Knapp

Post by Eric Knapp »

Brian Evans wrote:Well, I use fiberglass cloth and epoxy. Others use cotton cloth and glue. Some use veneer, I guess. I never really thought about it before.
I'm tempted to skip the cleats. My concern is that I have a repaired crack at one of the F-holes. Maybe I could do some cloth ones around that like I did on the sides.

-Eric
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I don't use cleats on new builds but will add them anytime I repair a crack. I shape the cleat to fit the arch and then carve it down after it is glued in.
MIMF Staff

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”