Scraping the binding

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Robert Freemond

Scraping the binding

Post by Robert Freemond »

I'm trying my 1st Sunburst, & didn't realize that by adding color to the finish & then scraping the binding I leave a ledge that can't be sanded.
I've always done transparent finishes & so never noticed this.

What is the proper way to deal with it.
Barry Daniels

Re: Scraping the binding

Post by Barry Daniels »

Build up clear finish so that you can sand it down to establish a level surface. It is also wise to keep your color coats thin by using more thinner and less lacquer.
MIMF Staff
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Especially during the learning curve it helps to lay down a good seal coat to put the color on top of. Just in case you eventually sand or buff through the color anywhere it can all be sanded off and done again without disturbing the surface of the wood. It's a lot of work to sand off all the color but you get another chance to make it perfect. If you put the color directly on the wood you get what you get and no real opportunity to do it over.
Robert Freemond

So the scenario might go like this: 3 seal coats (KTM-9) concentrating on the perimeter, amber color coat, Dk. brown burst coat, scrape & finish coats.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Basically, yes.

I have found that masking the bindings is a great benefit to making a very clean appearance. Use the vinyl striping tape available at auto paint supply stores.
Chris Walsh

Post by Chris Walsh »

My experience is to put a couple of thin clear coats over the color to seal those in before handling the guitar to scrape the bindings. At some point, I've always had to concentrate on building up finish on the bindings to be able to level things out after scraping.
Robert Freemond

Thanks everyone, It's been a big help.

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”