Sacconi Tailpiece pivot block

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Greg Martin

Sacconi Tailpiece pivot block

Post by Greg Martin »

Why is the pivot block under the tail piece necessary on archtops but not on violins or cellos??
Michael Lewis

Re: Sacconi Tailpiece pivot block

Post by Michael Lewis »

It's not necessary, at least on the archtops I have made or worked on, which includes some very high end instruments.
David King

Post by David King »

The violin family use a gut or nylon cord that bends easily like a hinge. My bass has a braided stainless steel cable loop. I've seen some busted hinges on guitars and banjos, especially the cast ones.
Dave Stewart

Post by Dave Stewart »

As long as you seat it properly on the tailblock, nothing wrong with using a raised violin-style saddle as the fulcrum for the sacconi. I preferred it to the inelegant (& spruce-denting) pivot glued to the tailpiece underside. But that's just me.
Dave
Milton, ON
Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

After thinking on this I can see where a bone or ebony block would lessen the chance of gut breaking and I can see it as protection when metal cable is used but why a fulcrum block as well, on the under side of the tail ala Benedetto ? Does it have something to do with tone or holding the tail in place maybe?
Dave Stewart

Post by Dave Stewart »

???
Regardless, you need something very hard for the cable to "break" (in the "break angle" sense of the word) over .... otherwise it will dig it's own groove.

By "raising" that something (ie making the saddle higher, like a violin), you lift the tailpiece high enough that you don't need the underside piece to maintain clearance from the top.
Dave
Milton, ON
Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

makes sense Dave thanks

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”