why 1-3/4" neck width at the nut

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including fixing errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Greg Martin

why 1-3/4" neck width at the nut

Post by Greg Martin »

What is the reason many jazz guitars are using the wider 1-3/4" nut width, just wondering??
Mike Conner

Re: why 1-3/4" neck width at the nut

Post by Mike Conner »

Greg, word on the street is that the wider spacing (compared to 1.680", 1-11/16") is good for fingerstyle playing. A little more room for moving around in the first position. Seems to work for me, though I have compromised and use 1.720" as a target for my guitar builds.

Also, I think some of the early archtops had the wider nut as a standard?
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

I'm not sure about this--there are others more expert who may perhaps weigh in on this--but I believe that 1-3/4 was a "standard" nut width, but was more recently supplanted by skinnier necks for some reason. I find anything narrower than 1-3/4 is a bit too skinny for my hands. Perhaps it's just as appropriate to ask why not 1-3/4" neck width.
Michael Lewis

Post by Michael Lewis »

Many jazz players also prefer a narrower neck. It's just personal preference for what one finds most comfortable or easier to play. One size does not fit all.
David King

Post by David King »

Some of the older Gibson flat tops came with 1-13/16" nuts and wider at the bridge too.
Greg Martin

Post by Greg Martin »

1.720 seems like a good compromise. something to ponder further.

Return to “Archtop Guitars and Bass Guitars”