Hello from Massachusetts

New to the forum? Feel free to introduce yourself here.
Steve Branam

Hello from Massachusetts

Post by Steve Branam »

I'm a hand tool woodworker interested in building violins. Someone posted a video from Vimeo on the Unplugged Woodworkers group on Facebook that has hooked me completely. In a half-hour, it shows French luthier Dominique Nicosia building a violin with hand tools, covering the entire process start to finish.

I recently created an online video course for Popular Woodworking Magazine called "Intro To Hand Tools", and as I watched this video, I realized I knew how to do almost every skill he used! Now I need to learn to apply them to the construction of an instrument.

I'm a big proponent of practice to develop hand tool skills, so I expect my first several (or 10) to be suitable for nothing but wall decoration.
Barry Daniels

Re: Hello from Massachusetts

Post by Barry Daniels »

Welcome aboard Steve. Good to have you here. Don't be surprised if #2 turns out to be a pretty good instrument.
MIMF Staff
Bryan Bear

Re: Hello from Massachusetts

Post by Bryan Bear »

Welcome! I can't really offer any help because I know nothing about violin making. Hopefully you'll get some good advice from the folks in the bowed instrument section. I keep hoping one of my daughters will take up the violin in school; making one (or as many as it takes to get a usable one) is on my bucket list.
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Introduce yourself here!”