Neck/fret size on Baritone guitar

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Aldous Bloomfield

Neck/fret size on Baritone guitar

Post by Aldous Bloomfield »

Hi guys,
I'm new on the forum, and I hope that you cuold help me.
I want to build a solid-body baritone guitar, I'm ok for the body, pickups, electronic and hardware, but not with the neck.
I decide to use a sacle of 27.67" / 702.82 mm, but I don't know the size of the frets (the width). Is there's someone that can help me?
Thanks a lot.
Greg Robinson

Re: Neck/fret size on Baritone guitar

Post by Greg Robinson »

Belom wrote:Hi guys,
I'm new on the forum, and I hope that you cuold help me.
I want to build a solid-body baritone guitar, I'm ok for the body, pickups, electronic and hardware, but not with the neck.
I decide to use a sacle of 27.67" / 702.82 mm, but I don't know the size of the frets (the width). Is there's someone that can help me?
Thanks a lot.
Hi Belom,
Please note that we require the use of real full (first and last) names on this forum, and do not accept aliases or "handles". Please let us know your name either here or in a private message so we can update your username and login details for you (you are not able to make these changes to your account yourself).

Thanks.

In regards to your question, use whatever frets you like. They come in various widths and heights, and were in the past traditionally shorter and narrower than is popular today.
Personally I prefer "jumbo" frets, tall and wide, because they're easier to bend on thanks to more height above the fretboard, and they also last longer before the strings wear divots into thanks to the width, and can survive more fret-dresses thanks to the height.
If you can find a few similar guitars with different fret widths to try out, that would be best, but if you're unsure, jumbo will probably keep you happy, and it's not like the upper frets will be crowded thanks to the baritone scale.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Aldous Bloomfield

Thank you very much for your quickness, but probably I didn't express the question very well.
I want to know the dimensions of a baritone neck, the sizes of every single fret (space beetwen two "iron bars"), from the first to the last.
However, thank you for the informations about the Jumbos.

P.S: I can't change my username in the user panel (my name is Aldous Bloomfield), how can I do?
raymond degennaro

Post by raymond degennaro »

Aldous Bloomfield wrote:... I want to know the dimensions of a baritone neck, the sizes of every single fret (space beetwen two "iron bars"), from the first to the last ...
http://www.fretfind.ekips.org

Ray
Greg Robinson

Post by Greg Robinson »

Ok Aldous, I've updated your username, thanks for that.

Sorry I misunderstood your question. To calculate fret spacing from a chosen scale length you use the "rule of 18" which is the historic method of dividing the scale length by 18 to find the first fret, and then continuing with the remaining length until you have the required number of frets. This is not quite accurate however, and the "12th root of 2" is the correct way to calculate the fret spacing, and allows you to do so without compounding rounding errors by calculating each fret individually from the nut.
The math is as follows:
D=SL-(SL/(2^(N/12)))
Where:
D= distance from nut
SL= scale length
N= fret number

So, for example using your 27.67" scale length, and calculating the first fret position:
27.67-(27.67/(2^(1/12)))=1.553 (rounded) from the nut.
Calculating for the second fret:
27.67-(27.67/(2^(2/12)))=3.0188 (rounded) from the nut.
And so you continue.

Incidentally, it works out to around 17.817 which is very close to the historic "rule of 18".

There are also many calculators, both programs and online.

Hope this helps!
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
Aldous Bloomfield

Yes! That's exactly what i'm looking for, thank you guys.
Tristan Williams

Post by Tristan Williams »

StewMac have a free fret calculator on their site that works very well.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”