Wraparound bridge location

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
John Sonksen

Wraparound bridge location

Post by John Sonksen »

Hi folks, I'm building a LP DC for a friend and he has spec'd out a resomax wraparound tailpiece/bridge. I'm wondering if it should be angled like a Tune-o-matic bridge or whether it has enough saddle travel to get the compensation I need. I've seen pics of guitars both ways and like the look of it better when the bridge is perpendicular to the strings but want to make sure it's functional above all else. Any thoughts?
Robert Smallwood

Re: Wraparound bridge location

Post by Robert Smallwood »

Hi John.
I had a quick look at some pictures on the Graphtec site. I couldn't find anything on compensation.

It looks to have more adjustment than tune o matics, but what I suggest is to measure the adjustment available & compare that to the available adjustment of a tune o matic + 1/8".

If it's the same or greater there would be no need to angle the bridge. ...well..I think...

Best wishes,
Rob.
Rodger Knox

Post by Rodger Knox »

The maximum difference in compensated string lengths is about 1/8" between the high(1/16") and low(3/16") E, so you need at least that much travel in the bridge adjustment to set it square with the strings. These are ballpark values, the exact values depend on several things. I usually set the bridge with the saddles all the way forward at just over the scale length, leaving the full travel to adjust the compensation. (The compensated length is always longer than the scale length).
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

I agree with Rodger here. There's nothing wrong with a slanted bridge, and why take away precious adjustment room just to have to square? There's been a lot of times that I was glad I had a little extra adjustment.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
John Sonksen

Post by John Sonksen »

mystery solved folks, just got the bridge and it has adjuster screws where the posts go that allow you to adjust each side towards or away from the neck. So I think I could do it either way, stagger the posts or make them level. There does seem to be a lot more travel for the saddles than my ABR type TOM as well.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”