First try

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Charles Bloss

First try

Post by Charles Bloss »

Thought I would share what I have started. It is going to be a mix of a Strat and a Les Paul with some of my own styling in it.

Here is the neck after a rough cut. It started with a flat sawn hard maple board that was cut into 1.5 inch by .75 inch strips then glued together.

After it was run down the jointer it exposed a nasty knot but it ended up under the fretboard and doesn't appear too deep.

I then free handed the head over and over until I found something I liked.

Here it is after cutting out the headstock and the start of cleaning up with some 80 grit.

Side profile and a nice view of the grain. It looks like its angled a bit but everything is in line with the neck. Even when holding the neck it looks that way but it all lines up down to the mm.

View of the back side of the neck.

Front of the head and after a bit more cleaning up. The truss rod channel still needs to be finished near the nut. Right now I am finishing up the back of the neck and preparing the fretboard.

I was born with nothing and have even less today!
Charles Bloss

Re: First try

Post by Charles Bloss »

Oops sorry about the large images I'll resize when I get home.
Dave Baisden

Post by Dave Baisden »

looks nice, post more pictures as you complete diffrent stages.
Dave
Charles Bloss

Post by Charles Bloss »

Thank you. I have slowed down on the build but I am still in the process of shaping the back of the neck. I have been using a rasp but its a cheapy and isnt doing too well. Most of the work has been done with 60 and 80 grit paper.

I have the bloodwood fingerboard layed out and will be cutting the frets in the next couple of days. I'm also playing around with some different types of inlays on scrap to see what I like. I'll post some more pics when I get more work done.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”