Non Pedal Steel Guitar

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Wil Josephs

Non Pedal Steel Guitar

Post by Wil Josephs »

Hi everyone. New here. I have made a couple of lap steel guitars and now looking at making a single neck 8 string console non pedal steel on 4 legs (maybe 3 legs) and also looking at making double neck 8 string console. I like the looks of Georgeboards, Western Steel Guitars and also Canopus single and double neck steels.
My console will be about 32 inches long, maybe 1 3/4 thick but I am having problems working out how wide I should make the body.
Can someone suggest how wide I should go? I know double neck Fender Stringmasters were about 9 inches wide but can someone give me some ideas of lengths,widths depths of single and double 8string necks like georgeboards or the others I mentioned above. I will be using metal stepped keyheads on both single and double neck consoles. At the nut end of keyhead, the keyhead is about 5 1/2 wide so 6 inch body width is too narrow I was thinking for single neck maybe 8 inches. for double neck I was thinking of maybe 15 or 16 inches across both necks/bodies. Any suggestions appreciated.
Greg Robinson

Re: Non Pedal Steel Guitar

Post by Greg Robinson »

Hi Ophir,
Please note that we require the use of real full names (first and last) on this forum and do not accept aliases or "handles". Please let me or one of the other staff members know your name here or in a private message so that we can update your registration for you, you cannot change your username yourself.
Thanks.
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
david frassetto

Post by david frassetto »

Will, while I don't have any experience with the models you have sited I do have a 52 Fender dual 8 Professional that is 11 1/2" wide ( 4.5" for each neck and 2.5" center section). and a 48 National that is 10" wide. My triple 8 Stringmaster is 13 1/2" and is still comfortable to play on the third neck. Your 16" would be as wide as I would go. I think anything significantly more than that would be getting a little too wide unless you have long arms.
Lap steel fanatic
Wil Josephs

Post by Wil Josephs »

Thanks David,
That's what I was concerned about. Reaching out to play front neck comfortably. Thanks for you message. Appreciate it.

Will
david frassetto

Post by david frassetto »

Anytime I can help. You could also make a mockup out of cardboard to see if it exceeds your reach.
Lap steel fanatic
Wil Josephs

Post by Wil Josephs »

Yeah. That's a good idea

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”