5-bolt pattern on a bolt-on neck?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

5-bolt pattern on a bolt-on neck?

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I admit that the motivation is more cosmetic than anything else, but would there be any downside to a pattern like this on my current short-scale bass build?
EA00CEED-3406-42FB-8ECF-91275ED5010B.jpeg
==Steve==
Andy Bounsall

Re: 5-bolt pattern on a bolt-on neck?

Post by Andy Bounsall »

You’d want to make sure that the fifth screw/bolt...the one in the centre...isn’t going to run into the truss rod in the neck.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

From a structural engineering aspect, most of the stress on the joint will be exerted on that single bolt. Not really a good idea.
MIMF Staff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Andy - thanks! I would have ended up grinding the point off a screw (duh!)

Barry - good point on that. So taking all of this into account, would this be structurally sound, or should I push both body-side bolts back close to the heel?

7BBA65F6-6125-4E10-9934-808415FF0439.jpeg
==Steve==
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

I'm an engineering (and lutherie) ignoramus so take what I say with that in mind. I think the vertical stress (that would fold the neck) on that joint is minimal, and in a well fit neck pocket a single bolt/screw would be adequate (of course I use 3 or 4 anyway. :) ) I've recently taken to making steel string acoustics with an adjustable neck (flat heel like an electric), and the necks are held on with two drywall screws - no problems yet, but it's only been months.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Yes, I would push the two screws close to the heel but try to make them closer to even with each other to allow both screws to carry equal stress.
MIMF Staff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Ok. Thanks guys. On a related issue, my original plan was to have the heel 1” thick. Took a bit more planing to get everything nicely squared-up, so the neck is closer to 3/4”. I can easily “stack” the heel to 1” which will allow carving a smoother transition between the body and neck, but the body is about 1 11/16” thick. Do you think that gives me enough “meat” for mounting the neck, or should I leave the neck as-is @ 3/4” and the bottom of the neck pocket at 15/16”?
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”