First Electric Guitar

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Christ Kacoyannakis

First Electric Guitar

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

Just finished my first electric guitar over the weekend. It is a lefty that I built for my brother. Curly maple top, gloss black finished mahogany back, curly maple neck, ebony fretboard. Quite the learning experience. I chambered the body to keep the weight down (9 lbs complete).
Mark Wybierala

Re: First Electric Guitar

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Looks like a hell of a lot of time and effort went into this one. I hope your brother appreciates what he has. Its quite a beautiful guitar.
Christ Kacoyannakis

You are right about the time and effort. I just do this as a hobby, so it might be a few hours after work during the week, but most of the work is done Saturday, Sunday and any days off I might have. I started these in November 2017!
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

That is stunning Christ!
Mark Wybierala

Post by Mark Wybierala »

Its a different mindset when making a one-off instrument as a hobbyist. This not at all a criticism. You have my respect as a fellow craftsman.
Christ Kacoyannakis

I know exactly what you mean Mark. When I finish an instrument, I just shake my head, and think, how can anybody expect to make a living doing this? It takes so much time, and things don't always go as planned, and the cost of materials is high. You start to understand why companies do what they do. I just can't do it that way, though.
Dick Hutchings

Post by Dick Hutchings »

Well worth the time. That's a beauty.
Dick Hutchings
John Clifford

Post by John Clifford »

That's lovely Christ. Great job! I like your headstock design and logo.

I'm left-handed, but I've always played right-handed (I guess because I didn't have a talented brother to make me a guitar). At this point, it's hard for me to even imagine playing left-handed.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

That is really nice, Christ! Shows you don't have to "burst" a top. That looks stunning!
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”