Build #2 completed!!

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

Build #2 completed!!

Post by Steve Sawyer »

A few minor finish flaws, but overall I'm pretty pleased with how this came out. Plays real nice!!
Build 2-1.jpg
Build 2-2.jpg
Build 2-3.jpg
Build 2-4.jpg
Build 2-5.jpg
==Steve==
Steve Sawyer

Re: Build #2 completed!!

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Build 2-6.jpg
==Steve==
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Really nice Steve
Andy Bounsall

Post by Andy Bounsall »

Very nice. Well done Steve.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks - really turned out better than I had any right to expect being my second build. Had to work my way put of a couple of gnarly issues, but all's well that ends well. Very impressed with Brite Tone for a brushed-on finish! Wish I had space to spray, but I can make this work.

Also, this is my first guitar with an ebony fret board. Wow. String-bending and bending w/vibrato (always a challenge for me) is a whole new ball game. Like buttah...

I was going go do Brazilian cherry, but decided goofs on the inlays would be easier to fix in ebony. As it turned out, the inlays needed no gap-filling, but really pleased with the ebony. I'll probably use the cherry on the bass I'm designing.
==Steve==
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Very nice, Steve.
Christ Kacoyannakis

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

Stunning! Fantastic job. I am almost done with the two I am building. I can attest that this is a huge amount of work. I was able to spray the Brite Tone. Hope mine come out half as nice as yours. Congratulation.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, Christ. I did a test piece with GF High Performance, and while it’s ok, it doesn’t self-level anywhere near as well as Brite Tone. The HP had to be level-sanded between coats, but I was able to apply 10 coats to this and only level-sanded after they were all cured.

Spraying should be amazing, and can be done with far fewer coats.

I should also take a moment to acknowledge all the help and advice I received here during this build. Y’all could probably construct a build thread out of all the posts I made along the way!!
==Steve==
Bryan Bear

Post by Bryan Bear »

Looks great!
PMoMC

Take care of your feet and your feet will take care of you.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”