Port Orford Cedar for solid-body guitar???

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Port Orford Cedar for solid-body guitar???

Postby Steve Ezzo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:38 pm

A friend gave me a beautiful 2 piece, joined, chunk of Port Orford cedar. It is the perfect size for a solid-body blank and has tight vertical grain. What is your opinion of this wood for a solid body guitar? I plan on putting a maple top on the guitar. I know it is very soft and needs a hard finish. Any other negatives (or positives) I should consider? Thanks in advance.
Steve Ezzo

Re: Port Orford Cedar for solid-body guitar???

Postby Dan Hehnke » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:21 pm

I love Port Orford cedar. I've used it for a bass, with a camphor top, and thought it was a nice wood for guitars. Smells great and easy to work with. I bet using that with a Maple top would work great. I don't have anything more specific I can say...
Dan Hehnke

Return to Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars