Headstock shapes and syles

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Dave Hobson

Headstock shapes and syles

Post by Dave Hobson »

Hi everyone,I'm new to this site but it looks good to say the least!!! I'm currently building/modifying a 4-string bass and wondered if the shape of the headstock has to be a minimum shape or size or can it be any shape as long as you can nail the machine heads to it?
Thanks
Dave Stewart

Re: Headstock shapes and syles

Post by Dave Stewart »

Welcome Dave. For me, the only "rules" involve machine placement & making sure strings come off the nut & go to the machine post at reasonable angles & without hitting other posts. Best to draw it out. By hand (if you have the machines). I prefer using cad. You can download dimensioned plan views of various machines from Stewmac etc., resize them to scale, & move them around 'till the above works, then play with pleasing headstock shapes to go around it all.
Dave
Milton, ON
Rodger Knox

Post by Rodger Knox »

+1 to what Dave said, with a minor addition. There is some strength required, but not a lot. A design would have to be pretty radical to have strength issues.
A man hears what he wants to hear, and disreguards the rest. Paul Simon
Dave Hobson

Post by Dave Hobson »

Thanks,guys,I just wanted to make sure about the strength issue before I started hacking away!!!!!!!!
Patrick Hanna

Post by Patrick Hanna »

I doubt this will be a problem, but it's worth checking: Make sure your headstock design will fit the interior dimensions of the case.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”