Volute questions

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

Volute questions

Post by Steve Sawyer »

The last coats of finish are being applied to the Big Furniture Project (finally!!) so I'm back at guitar build #2.

I cut the scarf joint for the neck/headstock and sliced off an additional "wedge" to nestle into the back of the joint from which I plan to carve a volute. My drawings of this joint measure the volute at about 3/8" at the thickest point, and this wedge is at 7/16" so I have enough meat to do the job. Just haven't seen any examples of how this is done, and just want to make sure this is not a bad way to go.

Also, I am facing the headstock with a veneered "plate" that matches the veneer on the body, and will be binding the headstock. Many of the volutes I've seen use a back-strap extending from the headstock up onto the volute, and I'm wondering if this is optional or might be a requirement, either from a strength or aesthetic standpoint. I do have some more of this fancy-ass veneer, so I could employ a back-strap, but I wasn't planning on binding the back of the headstock which I assume would be needed to hide the joint between the veneer and the headstock. However, this is really thin veneer (0.025") so I'm not sure if that is a concern.

Pics below for clarity.
Neck Volute Rough.JPG
Volute Detail.png
==Steve==
Freeman Keller

Re: Volute questions

Post by Freeman Keller »

Steve, that I can't help you with. I've made Martin style dart volutes and I've done veneer backstraps but I haven't done one like yours.
Bill Raymond

Post by Bill Raymond »

I shouldn't think a backstrap would be necessary, as the scarf-jointed neck ought to be strong enough. A backstrap may be desirable from an aesthetic standpoint, and no binding on the back of the headstock should be necessary. Other than that I have no advice as I've never made a volute (I don't like them).
Brian Evans

Post by Brian Evans »

I've done a rounded volute based on a Gibson I had many years ago. I carved the curve from the headstock towards the neck first, applied a veneer layer down the back of the headstock and curved onto the volute, then carved the neck. The very last thing I did was carve the volute from the neck side towards the headstock. That got me that graceful curve of veneer matching the neck that I wanted.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

And thanks for that description, Brian. That was pretty much how I planned to carve mine. Good to know my thinking is sound.
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”