P 90 cavity depth needed

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Greg Martin

P 90 cavity depth needed

Post by Greg Martin »

Hey guys just need an optimum routing depth for soap bar p-90 s both neck and bridge. My bodies are flat topped non arch type. My neck angle is 2.4 so the neck pickup should sit deeper than the bridge . Also, Other sources seem to say the cover should be at 3/16" below the bottom of the strings,but im not sure on it. Thanks
Christ Kacoyannakis

Re: P 90 cavity depth needed

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

I've got the Bartlett Guitars plans for the '59. I just did the route for the cavities last weekend. Came out great. The problem is that I am out of town right now and can't tell you exactly what the plans say. I will be home Thursday, and can let you know then. If memory serves me, the bridge was 3/4 and the neck was 1 1/16 inches, but that is for a carved top instrument with a neck angle of 4.2 degrees.

I'll tell you what I did for a similar guitar (carved top, with 4.2 degree neck set) but with non standard pickups, and no pickup rings. I just figured how much room I needed below the pickups for the mounting hardware (these are rear mount pickups with springs below the pickup), and I routed the cavities to allow the pickups to sit flush with the face of the guitar. I figured that would allow me enough adjustment space.

Hope this helps. If you want exact dimensions off the Bartlett '59 plans, let me know.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I use a measurement of 3/4 inch for P-90's, on a flat top electric guitar.

I use foam under the pickup to give variable height adjustment, and you can use different thicknesses to make up any minor difference.

Please remember to drill pilot holes for those tiny adjustment screws. They can break very easily.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
David King

Post by David King »

Some of the noiseless p-90s are stacked coil configuration (fx Kinman) which require a deeper rout. The standard cover depth for a P-90 is a hair over 5/8" deep so no need to rout much deeper than that provided that the armatures don't stick way out the back of the cover. Rear pickup could be 9/16" with your neck angle. Best thing to do obviously is to layout the side view to scale.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”