When to bind the body?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

When to bind the body?

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I have a body that I'll be routing sometime in the next week for pickups, switch cover and control cover.

I've practiced installing binding on scrap to get the feel of the process, but this is my first build that is actually using binding and I'm uncertain where in the build process it should be done - before or after routing for the neck mortise? Or are there other alternatives like routing the binding ledge, then actually installing the binding at some later step in the process?

Thanks!
==Steve==
Freeman Keller

Re: When to bind the body?

Post by Freeman Keller »

Frankly it doesn't matter. Like everything else, you should do it before something happens that might make it difficult - for example a hole in the side that the follower bit will dive into will totally screw up the binding. Jack holes in the side and/or crossing the neck pocket. You probably aren't doing an end graft but you definitely want to carve that channel after you have routed for the binding.

I typically route my binding channels right before I'm going to install the binding so they don't get damaged. Most of the time that is after the top and back are glued to the sides, the cavities are routed, the neck pocket is routed and the neck has been at least roughly fit. Important considerations are how the binding works at the neck pocket (does it disappear or have some sort of finish binding), whether you are doing a butt graft (and any mitering). Fwiw - I think it is better to have to scrape a few thousands of binding down to wood rather than the other way around, but I still like it as flush as possible.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, Freeman. I do have a little end graft, but it's already in place (plugged the bandsaw access kerf). I share your concern about damaging the binding ledge, so yeah, I think I want to do that just before gluing in the binding. Sounds like it won't hurt to have the neck tenon carved when I do it, and to your point, it will probably be easier to rout the channel before cutting the mortise. The ends of the binding will be hidden under the FB so it seems I could follow this sequence:
  • Rout all the body cavities
  • Drill for the output jack
  • Fit the switch and control covers
  • [work on the neck here, at least up to cutting the tenon]
  • Rout the binding channel
  • Install the binding
  • Rout the neck mortise
  • Do the final fitting of the neck tenon
Thanks for helping me think through this.
==Steve==
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

The only thing I might change the order of, is drilling the output jack hole.
As Freeman said, that is a place where the guide bearing on your bit can dive into, ruining the whole thing.

I have had this unfortunate experience, and it may have caused some bad words.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, Gordon. I'll do that. I was thinking that the hole would be below the path of the guide bearing, but it never hurts to play it safe.
==Steve==
Christ Kacoyannakis

Post by Christ Kacoyannakis »

Well now I feel a lot better. I was kicking myself for not drilling that output jack hole before I routed the pickup cavities, but I forgot all about the binding router bit. Now I am glad I forgot.
Dan Smith

Post by Dan Smith »

I sand the sides of the body before I cut the channels.
Seems obvious enough, just a reminder.
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Dan Smith wrote:I sand the sides of the body before I cut the channels.
Seems obvious enough, just a reminder.
Good point. The sides have already been sanded with 180 on my oscillating sander, and I'd expected to hand-sand the entire body just after the cavities are routed. That should give me a good bearing surface.
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”