binding multiple ply

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Robert Smallwood

binding multiple ply

Post by Robert Smallwood »

HI.

I'm going to do 5 ply binding - is it feasible to glue the 5 strips together first and then glue them on? Or is it better to apply (say) 2 strips then 2 strips then the thicker outer strip?

I did a three ply all in one but would like to know if 5 at once is a step too far.

Thanks,
Rob.
Freeman Keller

Re: binding multiple ply

Post by Freeman Keller »

I bought that StewMac thingie that is supposed to laminate binding, didn't like it. However I do do bindings (usually wood) with multiple purfling lines - I bend the binding first, route the channels and fit all the pieces in dry. Tape everything in place leaving gaps in the tape - wick a tiny drop of thin CA in between the tape pieces, pull the tape and run a very thin line of thin CA around all of the binding and purfling. Don't have a great picture to show but his is coco binding with four purfling lines - could have been more.
IMG_4419-3.jpg
Sorry, when I look at the picture its pretty hard to see, but trust me there are five plies there
Robert Smallwood

Re: binding multiple ply

Post by Robert Smallwood »

Thanks.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”