Unfinished NOS necks - slight backbow

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

Unfinished NOS necks - slight backbow

Postby Beate Ritzert » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi there,

i bought 3 unfinished necks dating from the end of the Framus production in 1981. All three have backbows. Truss rods have been are loose and put under very moderate tension for a few minutes on order to test them. The amount of backbow varies, but just reaches an amount which will be compensated by string tension.

Those necks are unfretted. The 4th - the only fretted one - came out perfectly under tension. So i would not mind if i planned to use them in fretless basses. But i am going to fret them, and thus am a bit afraid that that might increase the backbow.

So what would You do? Simple risk it and be prepared to straighten it after fretting (by clamping and heating) or try to straighten it before cutting the fret slots?
Beate Ritzert

Re: Unfinished NOS necks - slight backbow

Postby Mark Swanson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:53 pm

If you tighten the rod just a bit and then plane and sand them flat, when you loosen the rod you should have a bit of relief built in. Then cut your slots and fret it.
    Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Mark Swanson

Re: Unfinished NOS necks - slight backbow

Postby Dan Smith » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:01 pm

Yes on Mark’s reply.
I’ve done this on a very stiff neck to ensure I could add relief by loosening the rod.
If you use a sanding beam rather than a plane, it helps to sand the middle hump first so the beam does not teeter across the hump.
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
Dan Smith

Return to Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars