A Quick Question About Guitar Wiring

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Kelly Marshall

A Quick Question About Guitar Wiring

Post by Kelly Marshall »

recently bought some new pickups for my guitar and I decided to rewire the whole thing while I was at it. Which is probably dumb, but here we are. I am fairly new to soldering and the wire Diagrams are a bit confusing, but I think I have the basics down. Except for one thing: Push Pull Pots!

I am attempting to do This Wiring Set Up Here to turn my volume knob into a series/parallel switch as well.

The problem is that I am not sure how to orient myself to the diagram. Should I be thinking of my switch pot like this:
With the knob facing up?

or
Like This, with the knob facing down?

I hope my question makes sense. I want the wires to end up soldered to the right terminals, I'm just a bit confused about what side is up.

Smaller side question: Can I solder the ground wire to the top of a push/Pull pot safely?

Last Question: Can I combine this style of a series/parallel switch with 50s style wiring like this? I like the brighter tone offered by the 50s style wiring of the cap, I just want to ensure that these two special wirings wont interfere with each other.

Thanks for any help you can give! I am new to this, but having a blast trying to figure it all out.
Have A Great Day!
Kelly Marshall

Re: A Quick Question About Guitar Wiring

Post by Kelly Marshall »

I can't figure out how to edit my post, but I screwed up my pictures. The one for the PP Switch pointing down should be: https://imgur.com/K8iJuOM
Have A Great Day!
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

I can answer at least one of your questions.
The wiring diagrams from Seymour Duncan, or any other site, always have the knob facing up, when it comes to push-pull controls.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Kelly Marshall

Post by Kelly Marshall »

So if the knob is pointed up, wouldn't that mean that the default setting (with button depressed) would be parallel coils instead of series?
Have A Great Day!
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Both are series in that drawing.
Series parallel humbuckers
Series/split/singles
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
David King

Post by David King »

Some push pull switches work in reverse, when the shaft is pushed in the switch commutator moves in towards the back of the pot. You can usually determine which kind you have by making a close examination of it's operation.
Yes soldering to the tab on the front edge of the top of the switch box is OK but don't dwell there or the plastic parts on the inside will melt.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”