Veneer question

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

Veneer question

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Veneering panels requires a "balance" veneer on the back of the panel to avoid having the panel look like a potato-chip. However, panels usually range from 1/4" to 3/4", so obviously veneering only one face could have that effect.

However, I've never seen or heard of anyone on this forum putting a "balance" veneer on the back of a solid-body guitar, but maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

Is a balance veneer needed on a solid-body guitar when veneering the face?

Thanks!
==Steve==
Barry Daniels

Re: Veneer question

Post by Barry Daniels »

In my opinion, a solid body guitar is thick enough and small enough that a veneer on only one side would not have enough force to warp the body. The fact that both sides will be sealed with finish is further protection from warping.
MIMF Staff
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

I veneer the face of headstocks all the time - usually with a contrasting wood or something that matches the body (you can see that in some of my pictures on your other threads). Sometimes I will laminate a very thin contrasting material to give a little line around it (I really like doing that with slot heads as it adds a bit of interest to the slot.

What you do see on fancy instruments some times is what is called a "back strap" - a veneer or other piece laminated to the back of the headstock. It is usually done for visual effect but IMHO does offer some support and strength to the back - kind of like adding a volute. Here is the back of my archtop with a rosewood back strap - the rest of the trim is rosewood including the head stock veneer

Here is a 12 string that had a very badly broken headstock - it is a grain break running into the lowest tuner holes (a very good arguement for making a scarf joint). I glued the break, planed the back of the headstock down, put a carbon fiber spline in the break and then laminated a thin piece of mahoghany (maybe 0.080, thicker than what you would call "veneer"). I had to bend the piece to fit the curve into the neck stick. Its been two years now and no issues with the repair

Dan Smith

Post by Dan Smith »

I've had no problems applying veneer to one side of a guitar body.
I reckon the thickness of the body would be difficult to potato-chip.
I use veneer glue. Much less likely to cause expansion and contraction problems when wet and when dry. I had these problems using Titebond.
Dan
Attachments
IMG_3456.JPG
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
David King

Post by David King »

Yes titebond is not your friend in this particular instance. I tried the iron-on technique on a guitar top and the veneer split open on either side of the centerline.
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

Steve, I'm sorry that I miss understood your question - for some reason I thought you were talking about veneering headstock (I went back and read your first post and don't know where I came up with that idea). So, yeah, for what its worth, I do put contrasting veneers on the heads of my instruments but I haven't done a body. I have built ES-335 style instruments where the top and back are laminated but thats a different subject - I did not make the laminations but understand that they were done in a vacuum bag.

Follow Dan and David's advice.
Randolph Rhett

Post by Randolph Rhett »

You can absolutely veneer a solid body guitar without putting veneer on the back. "Balance veneer" is for thin stock or very large areas. The laminated tops, backs, and sides of a ES series Gibson has an odd number of veneers, but is only about 3/32" thick. Your solid body guitar will likely be in the 1.75" to 2" range. Totally different kettle of fish.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, gentlemen! I do use veneer glue (Better Bond) with a vacuum bag setup. Though I've heard of folks using Titebond, I don't know of anyone experienced in veneering that recommend it.

Freeman - no worries. I appreciated the info on the headstock!!
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”