New/old build

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.

New/old build

Postby Chris Flynn » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:10 pm

here is a teardrop bass I built, to play in a 60's tribute band, it is a semi-hollow body made from poplar, maple neck, rosewood fret board. I made the head small as the Vox's teardrops are neck heavy and difficult to play, I did put a humbucker under the cover. it has a little more "sound" to it than the Vox's I have played, I like it a little better. very light compared to my walnut/ maple precision that I built. I did use " polyurthane" paint and clear coat, hoping it will yellow with some age. I have been leaving it in a south window so it will speed up the "ageing" a little. I am a hobbiest builder so be gentle. thanks
Chris
Attachments
teardrop20001.jpg
Chris Flynn

Re: New/old build

Postby Patrick Kirkham » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:58 pm

Say, now that has some mojo. I notice it has a nice humane fingerboard width, which makes it more comfortable than the last "Wyman" Vox paddle I played. More shots would be welcome.Soundfiles too. What scale did you build it to?
Patrick Kirkham

Postby Bob Francis » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:40 pm

And some headstock shots too!
Bob Francis

Postby Mike Baker » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Cool looking bass! Good job!
Mike Baker

Postby Thomas Dooher » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:10 pm

I gotta say I like it...maybe getting nostalgic in my later years. :-)
Thomas Dooher

Postby Chris Flynn » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:57 am

Thanks for the kind words, I will take a picture of the headstock and neck. this weekend and post, if is is ok I will post a couple others I have built. thanks again
Chris Flynn

Postby Bob Francis » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:39 pm

Sweet! Lookin' forward to it.
Bob Francis

Return to Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars