Headstock Decals

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Andrew McSpadden

Headstock Decals

Post by Andrew McSpadden »

I am having trouble with cloudiness underneath my headstock decals. I am using Testors paper and Enduro Var. Any hint, tips, or sources for better product?

Thanks

If this belongs in Finishing please let me know.
Chris Richards

Re: Headstock Decals

Post by Chris Richards »

Quite often with cellulose lacquer this happens, initially when slid in to place the decal will be cloudy but the subsequent coats of lacquer lacquer will make the decal transparent, once the lacquer is sprayed over it will still appear cloudy but within 5 minutes it should go clear. I have found that old waterslide paper is worse, may be just buying new stuff will help.
Mark Swanson

Post by Mark Swanson »

In order to make that happen you need to spray just the right thickness of lacquer. The lacquer needs to "melt in" the decal, to make the film and cloudiness go away. Too much or too thick lacquer will melt the decal and blur it, and not enough will not melt in the film.
  • Mark Swanson, guitarist, MIMForum Staff
Freeman Keller

Post by Freeman Keller »

There is a brief article on waterslide decals in the back of the latest issue of American Lutherie. You might contact the people who wrote it. (Disclaimer, I don't do decals, just passing along the information)
Peter Wilcox

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Make sure the substrate is flat and polished with no defects.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”