Dodgey pickguard

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

Dodgey pickguard

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Finally getting around to installing shielding in my 25-year-old MIM Strat, and purchased a tortoise-shell pick guard awhile back meaning to replace that at the same time. The Strat is white, and so was the pickguard 25+ years ago, but it has since discolored into a sorta ugly beige that I'm not particularly enthusiastic about, hence the replacement.

The replacement pick guard is shaped fine, but some of the screw holes don't line up. Some are in completely new spots, and I don't see it as a big deal to drill new holes, but several are off not much more than half the diameter of the screw hole, and drilling those (and getting the screws to hold) seems like it'll be a bit of a problem.

So, what would you do - chuck this pickguard and buy one from StewMac and hope it's a closer fit, or fill some of the old holes with dowel and drill for the new guard?
==Steve==
Gordon Bellerose

Re: Dodgey pickguard

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

You can save the tortoise pg and use it later?
The pick guards on Fenders varied throughout the years. If you can determine what year the guitar was modeled on, you could buy one to match.
Otherwise it may be a good opportunity to learn how to make a pick guard.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Gregory nangle

Post by Gregory nangle »

you may even just fill the holes with durhams rock hard putty and re drill them out, but be sure its filled and packed in there no air.
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

I always recommend filling holes with wood especially if your new hole will be taking up some of the same real estate. This is what toothpicks were made for. Put a little white glue on the tip of the toothpick, insert it, nip it off with flush cutting nippers, wait a few minutes and drill your new hole. If one toothpick is not sufficient to fill the hole, use more. I have several boxes of toothpicks in the shop just for this purpose.
MIMF Staff
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Okay - thanks for the thoughts.

I've got other projects on the fire, so I think I'll fill with wood and re-drill as necessary. I'm the type that would normally take Gordon't suggestion to make a pick guard, but that'll have to come later.

Thanks again!
==Steve==
Dan Smith

Post by Dan Smith »

I'd plug the holes and make new ones.
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Dan Smith wrote:I'd plug the holes and make new ones.
That's what I did and everything came out good. The shielding made a HUGE difference too - now I only get a hum when I'm standing too close to the amp (like right on top of it). Much quieter!
New PickguardS.jpg
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”