String distance from the fret board edge - Is there a term for this?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Sawyer

String distance from the fret board edge - Is there a term for this?

Post by Steve Sawyer »

I'm starting a build journal so that I have all the specs, materials, hardware and techniques for each guitar I build.

Is there a term for the distance between the highest and lowest strings and the edge of the fretboard at the nut?
==Steve==
Peter Wilcox

Re: String distance from the fret board edge - Is there a term for this?

Post by Peter Wilcox »

From FretFind2D (a site you should have bookmarked for laying out fret boards) http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/

"The fretboard overhang is the distance from the center of outer strings to edge of nut or bridge. For fretboards with multiple scale lengths this is calculated as delta x distance, distance measured along a line drawn perpendicular to the neck's midline. There are four input modes for overhang.

Equal:
you enter a single value and the overhang will be constant.
Nut & Bridge:
allows you to specify one overhang at the nut and another overhang at the bridge.
First & Last:
allows you to specify one overhang for the first string and another for the last string.
All:
you specify an overhang for all four locations separately."
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Steve Sawyer

Re: String distance from the fret board edge - Is there a term for this?

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Thanks, Peter. I didn't have that site bookmarked, but I do now. "Fretboard Overhang" will do the trick.
==Steve==

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”