3/4 size Les Paul Jr's for Christmas

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Patrick DeGreve

3/4 size Les Paul Jr's for Christmas

Post by Patrick DeGreve »

I build guitars as a hobby. For the last few years I have given 5 guitars each to two different children's holiday toy drives. One is the LA County Federation of Labor's "Toys and Turkeys" drive, and the other is CBS and the Salvation Army's "Angel Tree" toy drive. For the first time this year I built two 3/4 size electric guitars based on the Les Paul Jr. I used a scale length of 23.5 in., and very tall frets, to make them easy for a child to play. Simple volume and tone, and tune-a-matic bridges. They were a lot of fun to play, and were very well received by both groups. These were only the second and third electrics I have made, but they came out very well, so I have started four more for next years toy drives. I included a gig bag, tuner, book, picks, and a 10 watt amp with each, so the children can start playing right away, without needing anything else right away. The rep for the County Federation told me that last year the five guitars I gave them went to five children who were already in an inner city music program, but did not have an instrument of there own. He told me that all five of the children played their guitars in a program last month, and that the five guitars from this years drive will go to children in the same program. Here are a few pictures of the two electric guitars. I will post pictures of the acoustic guitars in the flat top guitar section of this forum.
Attachments
close up of mahogany guitar
close up of mahogany guitar
This guitar has a ribbon striped mahogany top
This guitar has a ribbon striped mahogany top
closer up of the walnut jr.
closer up of the walnut jr.
This guitar is walnut and a p90
This guitar is walnut and a p90
Matthew Lau

Re: 3/4 size Les Paul Jr's for Christmas

Post by Matthew Lau »

Hey Patrick,

I know this is a super late reply, but you're a good man.
Also, nice work.

Hope you're staying healthy during this COVID time
Bob Orr

Re: 3/4 size Les Paul Jr's for Christmas

Post by Bob Orr »

What an excellent and generous idea. Well done!

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”