Has anyone tried Sisal or Spiral Sewn Course Buffs on a guitar?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Nick Sorenson

Has anyone tried Sisal or Spiral Sewn Course Buffs on a guitar?

Post by Nick Sorenson »

I've not been the happiest with how well and how fast my 60/60 (mesh) cotton wheels and Brown Menzerna are removing sanding scratches at 800 RPMS and 12" wheels. I'm considering trying a courser wheel or compound.

Caswell plating sells Sisal wheels as well as Spiral Sewn Cotton Wheels that I think with the Brown Menzerna (Tripoli) would do the trick in cutting faster. Anyone tried this?

The other thing I've considered is a courser compound bar (maybe Emery).

Just wondering if anyone's tried these ideas?

The reason I ask is that it takes around 30 minutes to remove scratches from sanding no matter how fine I sand. On that token, it seems like anything finer than P1200 is a waste of time with the Brown Menzerna. After that the Brown scratches are very easy to remove with the following compounds (maybe 5 minutes worth of buffing on the other wheels and compounds). I'd like to find a little bit more aggressive of a wheel or compound for the first step.
Greg Robinson

Re: Has anyone tried Sisal or Spiral Sewn Course Buffs on a guitar?

Post by Greg Robinson »

Any help for Nick?
MIMForum staff member - Melbourne, Australia
julian gifford

Re: Has anyone tried Sisal or Spiral Sewn Course Buffs on a guitar?

Post by julian gifford »

What finish are you using? On automotive clear I wetsand to 1500 and go straight to hand held buffer with regular cheap bonnets using 3m "perfect it" and "finess it" then mcguires swirl remover. I forgot which 3m product is courser, but I'd try those on the wheels you currently have. you may find it at an autoparts store, or you may have to go to rockler or an autobody supply store.

I dont spend anywhere near 30 minutes doing the initial cutting, and 2k automotive clear is typically one of the hardest finishes besides wood floor poly.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”