How do i handle this?

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Kory Pevoto

How do i handle this?

Post by Kory Pevoto »

This is just a technical question regarding a 7-string electric guitar and I didn't know where else to start this thread so if I am in violation please be patient with me. This is not a guitar I am building but rather I guitar I found at a pawn shop. How can I clean-up the messy strings on the headstock? Can't they be tucked inside of the tuners? Also, what causes a pickup to do what it's doing in the picture showing it raised on one side? I'm guessing it's an issue related to the screw holding it in on that side but I've seen this happen on my bass guitar as well. How can it be prevented?
Attachments
20161118_155942.jpg
20161118_155916.jpg
Peter Wilcox

Re: How do i handle this?

Post by Peter Wilcox »

Kory Pevoto wrote:How can I clean-up the messy strings on the headstock?

Cut them, leaving about 1/8" sticking out from the pegs.
Kory Pevoto wrote:Also, what causes a pickup to do what it's doing in the picture showing it raised on one side? I'm guessing it's an issue related to the screw holding it in on that side but I've seen this happen on my bass guitar as well. How can it be prevented?
It's been raised too far (I presume) either inadvertently, or to compensate for low output of the treble strings, or because the screw hole threads have been stripped on that side and it's popped up. Try turnoing the screw clockwise - the pickup should lower. If not, the threads are bad and need to be fixed.
Maybe I can't fix it, but I can fix it so no one can fix it
Gordon Bellerose

Re: How do i handle this?

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Properly installed strings should go through the hole, and then be wound down the tuning peg almost to the bottom.
The remainder can be cut off. If you are not familiar with installing strings, look it up on Youtube.

Some players end up hitting the pickup with their hand, causing the one side to be lower. See if you can simply lift it if there is slack between the screw head, and the pickup. Otherwise loosen the screw to raise the pickup on that side.
Same as Peter said.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”