1st post. What to do with....

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Ian Precious

1st post. What to do with....

Post by Ian Precious »

Hello all.

Just looking for a Jaguar template in my garage I made at college (25 years ago). Found it... and...... .....

A piece of Mahogany (two pieces glued actually, body size but not a Jaguar) that I stuck together some years ago from scrap. I hbave had about 15 years away from Luthiery for my marriage (now dissolved) and career and kids and all that stuff.

Big enough for a Telecaster, thinline, though I have two Tele's already. Not thick enough for a routed tremolo, about 40/42mm thick after some thickness planing, there is a slight curve to the whole piece - it is about 46/48mm at the moment.

Pop quiz hotshot, what do I build with it?

Thanks for your input.
Presh
Steve Sawyer

Re: 1st post. What to do with....

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Welcome from another newbie, Ian.

Have you thought of designing something unique rather than copying one of the tried-and true designs? I adapted some online plan drawings of a Tele, Strat and LP just as a guide for proportions, and have done some sketching/noodling with a few designs, tracing over those found drawings. You could do this with your paper taped to that blank as a work surface so you can work within that constraint.
==Steve==
Ian Precious

Post by Ian Precious »

Thanks Steve,

I have tried this in the past and has always ended in disaster.

I am an IT tech, certified NERD (I don't claim geekhood) and as such a doo-er. Give me a problem and I will fix the hell out of it. But am just not creative in that artistic kind of fashion.

Hence I pragmatise!

Ian
Steve Sawyer

Post by Steve Sawyer »

Ian Precious wrote:ust not creative in that artistic kind of fashion.
I hear ya - then just find a scale outline for an LP and a Strat and see if either would fit that blank. Once you know if it will work for either, then you can think about how to fit everything into it. I've seen a LOT of different options for that, even if it's a little thinner than usual.

I think I have a Sketchup drawing for an LP style guitar. Maybe a Strat too. If you're interested, I can export a plan view to a JPG. I can tell you what the overall dimensions are so you can scale and print it at full scale. If you don't have access to a large-format plotter or printer, I've had good luck printing full-size plans at FedEx/Kinko's.
==Steve==
JC Whitney

Post by JC Whitney »

Hello Ian. You mentioned in another post that an LP Junior was on you to-do list.If this stock
isn't big enough for that, maybe consider shrinking the LP Jr plan down just enough to fit it. I did that many years ago with a solid mahogany tele copy, and it's been my favorite ever since. Maintain the scale length, just with a smidge smaller body. The bridge will sit in a slightly different spot than on a stock Jr, but who knows - you might find it's an improvement. If you're using a purchased neck putting together a full size mockup of body/neck could be pretty easy and allow you to mess around with design a bit to see what feels most comfortable on a strap, while sitting, etc.
Ian Precious

Post by Ian Precious »

Thanks guys, I think it's settled.

Drum roll... ... .. .. ..

I'll probably go with the double cut junior, see if I can get a really cool pickup and do the 50s wiring mod so it's all about the tone.

I have a plan and laser printer so I can create the templates, just have to thickness plane the stock so it's level (I had been considering some kind of Parker Fly hybrid after looking at their Tele/Strat type models).

Thanks again,
P.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”