My Nephews Build

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jeff Gandy

My Nephews Build

Post by Jeff Gandy »

We just wrapped up a guitar for my nephew. I couldn't quite finish the setup before having to take a trip, so he dropped it off at a local luthier for adjustment. It was his design, and we did it during his breaks from classes at UCLA. The body was chunk of ash I had lying around, and an old Mitey Mite neck. It turned out pretty good, and he was really happy with the result.

JC Whitney

Re: My Nephews Build

Post by JC Whitney »

That's great, truly one-of-a-kind. I had fun trying to pick out ancestors from its family tree... a bit of Strat up north, Dean ML down below the equator, a pinch of Steinberger up in the northwest. Perhaps a wee bit of Red Hot Chili Peppers influence at the knob?
Looks like a fun project.
Dan Smith

Post by Dan Smith »

Kick-ass, Jeff!
It looks like it would sit on the leg perfectly.
Really like it!
Dan
Ever-body was kung fu fight-in,
Them kids was fast as light-nin.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

That is a very different style of body, that is for sure. Very unique. No one will have one quite like it. :-)
What is the brown object at the base of the neck?
That is a nice piece of wood too. I wish I had some of that laying around.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Jeff Gandy

Post by Jeff Gandy »

The piece around the neck base is just a decorative purple heart thing with a pau shell dot. Same for the star piece around the knob (purple heart). The ash I picked up at a local place. A nice fat 8/4 slab that just wasn't quite wide enough for a body, so we laminated it with purple heart and curly maple. The ash yielded enough for that body plus another 3 foot long section, for $35. It was a good find. Single pickup, no tone control but a push/pull for coil splitting. Shot it with Behlen's instrument laquer.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”