Cutting Thin Binding Strips

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Gordon Bellerose

Cutting Thin Binding Strips

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

As the tiltle suggests, this question is about how to cut thin strips of binding material. for sound holes.
I bought a piece of white binding material that is 12 inches by 2 inches, by .080 thick, from LMI.
I need to cut it into thin strips, and am wondering which is the best method.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
David King

Re: Cutting Thin Binding Strips

Post by David King »

Gordon, if you have a circular fret slotting blade and a tables saw I try that with a "feathered" or rolling hold down device. The plastic may melt and immediately gum up the blade. If that happens I'd try a thin kerf blade on a bandsaw.
Ideally you would set up a fixed blade slitter contraption with replaceable blades and pull the strips through repeatedly while advancing the blade depth. I've seen such a device, it probably used mat cutting blades as used by art framers.
http://www.amazon.com/Logan-270-Cutter- ... B000YQLUS6
Here's a promising DIY vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWo2BRLHY_g
Barry Daniels

Post by Barry Daniels »

Keep it simple. Use a steel straight edge and a sharp utility knife. A couple of spring clamps to keep the straight edge stable helps. It may take 5 to 7 stokes to cut through the binding strips.
MIMF Staff
Gordon Bellerose

Thanks guys. I had thought of all the above methods, I just didn't know if there was an easier way.
That is a pretty inventive little cutting jig the guy in the video made; I just don't know if it would be strong enough for hard plastic.
I'm going to try Barry's simple method first. If I have to go for stitches or large bandages, I may try something else. :lol:
David King

Post by David King »

One thing that helps keep a straightedge from sliding around is to stick some PSA sandpaper to the bottom.
You can also thin and polish the tip of your blade to reduce the cutting resistance.
Gordon Bellerose

All good tips. Thanks for helping.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”