Ashbory type bass

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Steve Senseney

Ashbory type bass

Post by Steve Senseney »

Fret markers
Fret markers
This is another Ashbory type of bass.

22 inch scale, UK-2000 pre amp.

Maple sides and neck. Osage headstock and neck veneer. Ebony nut. Bone saddle.

Neck width at nut is 1.70" Width at 12th fret is 1.095"

Nut spacing for strings is total span of 1.4" . Span at Saddle is 1.65".
Attachments
Bridge detail
Bridge detail
Back view
Back view
Steve Senseney

Re: Ashbory type bass

Post by Steve Senseney »

There are two main sources for information and parts. Largemouth.com and Bassuke.com.

The tuners are from Largemouth. I had some of their silicone strings, and they did not last more than about 1 day.

I got the preamp from a Chinese source on Ebay.

I got the Polyurethane strings from Bassuke.com

As I was working on this, I set up a board to check for the "proper" intonation. I found that the strings really did not need any intonation.

The height of the strings above the first fret (as I set it up) was .030" for the G string and .045" for the E string.

The height of the strings above the 12th fret was 11/64".

The open appearance as opposed to placing a face on instrument-- I made one with a face (which I showed a few weeks ago), and made this one open. They both have some charm.

I made the bridge "adjustable" by having three threaded screws supporting the bridge. It can easily be lowered, and the intonation can be adjusted by using the third screw as a pivot. Intonation is not much of an issue with this kind of instrument.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Here are more pictures--

The markers are aluminum tubing with walnut.

Finish is spray rattle can lacquer.

I did put a couple of quick coats of shellac on the fingerboard to keep it clean while doing the fret dressing. Worked quite well.

(I am still working on how picture uploading works and where the pictures are placed!)
Attachments
Detail of back of the bridge and saddle area
Detail of back of the bridge and saddle area
Thumb rest
Thumb rest
View of pinned side
View of pinned side
Small detail of pinned sides.JPG (24.18 KiB) Viewed 19750 times
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Here is the picture with the markers--
Attachments
Small 12th fret markers.JPG
Patrick Kirkham

Post by Patrick Kirkham »

That looks like a lotta fun! I'm a fan of minimalist design. Soundfiles?
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Soundfiles?

Naw--

However, I have spent a week or more getting the strings stretched so that they now stay in tune for a while.

One guitar has the Largesound.com pre-amp and piezo pickup. (I previously listed this as Largemouth.com incorrectly).

The other has the Uke 2000 pre-amp and piezo pickup.

The Uke 2000 has a much louder sound.

Both have a characteristic "squawk" type of sound as the sound is initiated. As I understand, this is characteristic of many piezo pickups. The piezo picks up a lot of finger on string sound.

I don't know if there is a real solution to this, or if it is a small enough issue that no one will notice or care.
Samuel Hartpence

Post by Samuel Hartpence »

Steve Senseney wrote: As I was working on this, I set up a board to check for the "proper" intonation. I found that the strings really did not need any intonation.

The height of the strings above the first fret (as I set it up) was .030" for the G string and .045" for the E string.

The height of the strings above the 12th fret was 11/64".

I made the bridge "adjustable" by having three threaded screws supporting the bridge. It can easily be lowered, and the intonation can be adjusted by using the third screw as a pivot. Intonation is not much of an issue with this kind of instrument.
The fact that there is no need for any intonation sounds a bit counter-intuitive as it appears that the string diameters vary quite a bit. Do you have any possible way to account for this. Regarding the "action" of these instruments, have you noticed any whether or not the amplitude of the string motion is greater than standard bass strings. I imagine you can get a way with (maybe it's necessary) having higher string height as any contact with the fret board would certainly kill the energy in these less massive strings, but the material would also make them more comfortable to play so perhaps you have to re-define your perception of acceptable string heights. Also, I'd love to hear and see a bit more detail regarding your bridge design.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Regarding Bridges--

The first Ashbory type bass I built, I used the "Integrated pickup and bridge assembly for DeArmond and Fender Ashbory basses" that was sold on the Largesound.com website. It does not currently seem to be listed. I paid $72.00 for this piece.

I would recommend that you use something other than this item.

The pre amp and pickup combination was not very loud.
Attachments
a bridge.JPG
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

The second Ashbory type bass I built, I used a maple base, osage cap, with a piezo pickup under a bone saddle. I made the saddle the correct thickness to allow it to sit nicely on top of the piezo pickup.
Back view of bridge adjusting screws
Back view of bridge adjusting screws
The block of maple has 3 holes in the bottom of it.
Top view of bridge
Top view of bridge
The center of the guitar board has 3 matching machine thread screws. These can easily be raised or lowered to give different height adjustments.

Two of the screws are toward the front of the saddle. The third is at the back of the saddle. If you need to get a little more or less scale length, you can do this by moving the third screw.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

As far as compensation, and string height--

I made a dummy board so I could get "exact" intonation. I was sure I needed some on my first instrument.

I measured with all four diameters of string, and found that no compensation was needed.

The strings are very stretchy. There is always a little "string slap" type of sound with plucking the strings.

The larger issue is the "squawk" type of sound with the preamp and piezo pickup.

I don't have experience with an upright bass, so I can't comment on the comparison of the feel.

These soft strings require so little effort to fret and play that a 5 year old could easily play one of these instruments all day long.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

A couple of other comments-

The tuners from Largesound.com have the large spools on them. The heavy strings will not easily work on any regular guitar or bass guitar tuner that I could figure out.

They do not come as Right and Left, so you have to adjust your headstock to accommodate the winding direction.

The base plates for the tuners are of a relatively soft brass rather than steel. I don't know that they will hold up for long term.
Brian Dyskin

Post by Brian Dyskin »

Very nice Ashbory bass, Steve. I see you went with fretted this time. I'm surprised - and pleased - to hear that you didn't have intonation issues with it. I had to have a significant angle on the bridge on my fretless if I wanted the to hear an octave at the 12th fret line marker position for all strings.

I can't quite picture how the bridge adjustment on yours works - any more details on that?

Brian.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Ashbory adjustable bridge.JPG
Thanks

The bridge is sitting on three screws. These can be raised.

Here is a cad drawing--

Really not too complicated.

Since the frame is completely open, you can adjust the screws easily.

I plan on eventually getting to a fretless, but not quite there yet.
Attachments
Ashbory adjustable bridge wire frame.jpg
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Continuing to try to figure these out, I make the Bass Uke kind of instrument.

Maple back sides and neck, osage fretboard, headstock veneer. Osage and maple bridge. Bone saddle. Undersaddle piezo. Uke 2000 pre amp.
Small front.JPG
small back.JPG
Small front.JPG
Attachments
Small side view with pre amp.JPG
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Close up of the bridge--
Small bridge.JPG
End view--
Small bridge.JPG
Built with a 22 inch scale. Baritone Ukulele size for the body.
Attachments
small end view.JPG
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

I am not sure about the double posting of the images!?
Steven Wilson

Post by Steven Wilson »

Very nice. Love the use of osage. I think it is an under used timber.
Stevem
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

That's a cool two-wood bridge, Steve!
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Thanks.
Randy Roberts

Post by Randy Roberts »

I got to see all three of these this weekend and they are really really cool little instruments! The Baritone Uke one was obviously the loudest, but Steve only had a little battery powered amp with him and I, not knowing a thing about electrics had nothing to offer.
I was amazed at the strings in the pictures, but in person they are even more bizarre. They're soft and "squishy" and like Steve said, a kid could play one of these forever and not have sore fingers. Not the same material, but they are what I would picture Nerf making if they made strings instead of balls.
These are really fun instruments, and I couldn't stop grinning when he brought them out. I think the open one is my favorite but each has it's own special charm. And as usual Steve's craftmanship is outstanding even on a "little" instrument.
I've been smiling every time I think of them.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”