Finally done! Semi-hollow

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Dave Locher

Finally done! Semi-hollow

Post by Dave Locher »

I first posted photos of this project almost 4 years ago. Then my son was born and it just sat in my basement half finished until a couple months.
Now it is finally done. It sounds great, plays well, and looks...well, let's just say I have a new respect for anyone who can finish A guitar to a truly professional level.
I would like to thank everyone who gave me advice over the years.
Attachments
image.jpg
Dave Locher

Re: Finally done! Semi-hollow

Post by Dave Locher »

After I took these photos I realized the neck pickup was crooked and fixed it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Dave Locher

Post by Dave Locher »

Guess I should have mentioned the specs:
Maple bolt-on 3-piece neck w/rosewood fingerboard. 24.75 scale, 10" radius, medium jumbo frets.
Mahogany body, chambered everywhere except under the bridge and tailpiece, with 1/4" maple top.
Dimarzio Super Distortion bridge pickup, Golden Age neck pickup, CTS pots (two volume, one tone).
Gotoh bridge, bone nut, Ping tuning machines.
I originally put it together with a 1970's JB humbucker at the bridge. It sounded good, but bright and thin for my taste.

I am already planning the next one: same shape but walnut neck-through, different pickup configuration, real binding, and a Bigbsy or trapeze tailpiece. I'll probably move the controls a bit as well. The addiction begins!
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

This looks good! Closeup shots of the headstock and neck joint, please (and any interior pics you has, too).
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
Dave Locher

Post by Dave Locher »

I have interior/in progress photos somewhere, but not on this device. We routed the mahogany away down to about 1/2 inch thick everywhere except the outer edge about 1 inch all around and the width of the bridge from the bridge back to the strap button.
If you look at the headstock photo you can see orange peel. The finish actually looks better than that in person, but not as nice as in the other, more distant photos.

That awkward neck joint is the reason why my next build will be a neck-through.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Bob Francis

Post by Bob Francis »

Looks really nice Dave!
Congrats
Dave Locher

Post by Dave Locher »

Thank you very much.
I was hoping this one would be perfect, but instead it ended up being my "learn from your mistakes," "not bad for a first try" guitar.
Hopefully the next one will be better in every way, or at least better looking. But this one sounds great, which is what matters most to me.
Dave Locher

Post by Dave Locher »

I found one "in progress" photo that shows the inner construction.
I had to add the two pieces of mahogany under the bridge because my brother-in-law (who is a woodworker but not a musician) routed the body out for me and didn't follow my pattern because he didn't think it would matter.
Attachments
Guitar 006.JPG
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

That looks pretty nice Dave. Good job!
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Dave Locher

Post by Dave Locher »

Coming from you, Gordon, that is high praise considering how nice your work is. If your great build thread had been available when I started it would have saved me a lot of pondering and trial & error! I probably still would have gone with the bolt-on neck just because I was expecting to mess the neck up (which I did, the first go-round), but from you I've learned that it's really just a matter of how much wood you scrap when you start over so the next one is a through-neck for sure, and I'll be using your thread as a guide every step of the way.

It's funny - I've always wanted a black semi-hollowbody with black pickups and cream rings, but looking through my construction photos I might sand off the black lacquer and finish it natural. There's flamed maple hiding under that spray paint.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

You're much too kind David. There are lots of builders on this forum who do work much nicer than mine.

But as I stated at the very beginning of that thread, it was going to be a learning experience for all. Me included.

I would only sand that black off, if you are totally dissatisfied with it. Black is a hard color to work with.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”