Jazz bass fretboard

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Chris Richards

Jazz bass fretboard

Post by Chris Richards »

Hi all....

Quick question.... I have a Fender '70's Jazz bass from a customer that has at some point been fitted with a new fretboard and is fretless, the guy wants it restored back to original, I'm pretty sure Fender Jazz basses from that era all had bound fretboards with block inlays?

In order to speed up the restoration I've been looking around for a pre made fretboard or at least one with the block inlays fitted, fret slots cut etc but can't find anything, does anyone know if anything like this is available?

Thank you
Chris
Gordon Bellerose

Re: Jazz bass fretboard

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

Warmoth may have something like that. If not, they can certainly make it for you but it could get a bit costly.
If you go that route, your measurements of the neck you are putting it on, have to be extremely accurate, and you would still end up routing a bit of a channel to accommodate the binding, which would have to be left a bit proud of the bottom of the fret board, to make a nice fit.

Alternately you could buy a fret board and learn to do the fret slotting, inlay, and binding yourself.
I was terrified the first time I tried binding and especially inlay, but it worked out well. Block inlay is about the easiest other than dots.

If the nature of the job is above your current comfort level, and the cost of the tools to do the job is prohibitive, and it is a one time thing, a full neck could be purchased with those features.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

Thanks for the reply.... It was more of a time saving thing, I'm not adverse to doing the whole job, it's just that I have a backlog of work at the moment and really could have done with getting this one "out of the door" quickly, the only thing I've never done before is cut MoP to size, I'm hoping that this won't be a problem as they're simple squares.

Cheers
Chris
Joshua Levin-Epstein

Post by Joshua Levin-Epstein »

Those basses had either rosewood or maple fingerboards, both bound, both with block inlays. The Maple boards had either pearloid or black inlays, so unless your customer knows what this once was, you've got some choices. It probably also has the 3 bolt neck tilt feature.

A Warmoth neck, maple on maple, Pearloid inlay and bound would go for $510. That should be a bit less than doing the surgery you describe.

Personally, I've never felt these were Fender's finest effort (I'm holding back) and would not want to put a lot of money into it to have it look original. I would look for a replica neck and spend time getting the decal etc right. If you want it real authentic, make sure there is a significant hook at the body end of the neck.
Bob Gramann

Post by Bob Gramann »

For someone, that fretless neck would be a treasure. I would be wary of destroying it and would replace the whole neck if not the whole guitar, keeping the fretless bass intact.
Gordon Bellerose

Post by Gordon Bellerose »

The MOP can be purchased already cut to size. That's how I buy mine.
As I am from Canada, and U.S. suppliers cannot ship shell products to Canada, I'm not much of a source for a supplier.

I have dealt with Depaule Supply, from Oregon.
They have an office in Vietnam, and can ship to Canada from there.
Very high quality products in my opinion.

But as Bob said, maybe there is a market for that fretless neck.
I need your help. I can't possibly make all the mistakes myself!
Joshua Levin-Epstein

this might be an alternative as well

http://www.adorama.com/FE992000921.html
Chris Richards

Post by Chris Richards »

Thanks for the advice... I hadn't really thought about replacing the whole neck and selling the fretless one, I've got a few days to think on it and have a look around... Thanks for the advice and ideas.
Joshua Levin-Epstein

There is a lot of discussion about restoration standards. Let's say this was a Stradivarius guitar like the one in the latest American Luthier. They built an entire new neck (there wasn't a replacement on Amazon) but the old, unoriginal neck is still part of the instrument's provenance. So that should not be separated from the instrument.

In your case, the "proper" restoration would be to do as you originally proposed; new fingerboard with the appropriate appointments. I don't think this instrument is worth such efforts (but what do I know?). I would get a replica neck and keep the fretless neck with the instrument. You'll still get some work out of it because the new neck will need fret leveling and installation. You also might suggest your customer look for a replacement body (lots of those) and assemble a good fretless. A little bit more work for you that shouldn't add too much to your backlog.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”