Ben Castellana's Sunburst Les Paul

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Ben Castellana

Ben Castellana's Sunburst Les Paul

Post by Ben Castellana »

I had originally intended to post images of this guitar in "Mistakes Made While Building Early Guitars" thread, but this guitar, in spite of its problems, has become my Number 2 guitar for gigging. I started this one in 2006 and completed it in 2007. There were a lot of firsts for me with this one: the first carved top, the first bound neck, my first attempt at accentuating grain with stain, my first encounter with spalted wood, etc.

I built two guitars, one right-handed and one left handed. The bodies are mahogany with spalted maple caps, the necks are mahogany with a maple center stripe, and the fretboards are cocobolo - one of my very favorite woods. I also made knobs from the fretboard cutoffs. Because I was trying to learn more about binding techniques, I fretted the left-handed neck before binding, and bound the right-handed neck before fretting. Both were a pain, but I think the latter was much easier in the long run.

Both guitars suffered from problems with the finish - I used a new product, and I did not do a very good job of sealing the spalted parts, which suffered greatly during wet sanding. The finish on the right-handed guitar was so bad that I set it aside (after several disastrous attempts to fix) awaiting a day that I had more patience. The left-handed one was not so bad, so I went ahead and started using it.
Attachments
The parts for the Les Paul.
The parts for the Les Paul.
The two Les Pauls under construction in March 2007.
The two Les Pauls under construction in March 2007.
My sunburst Les Paul guitar.
My sunburst Les Paul guitar.
Ben Castellana

Re: Ben Castellana's Sunburst Les Paul

Post by Ben Castellana »

Problems that developed included a large crack opening along the grain of the spalted top. Also, the finish started flaking off the back of the neck. I'm sure that this was a user error with the new finish (which has subsequently been re-formulated by the manufacturer).
Attachments
Finish peeling off the back of the neck.
Finish peeling off the back of the neck.
Closeup of the separation on the top.
Closeup of the separation on the top.
Closeup of the body.  Shortly after I finished the guitar, a crack opened up in the spalted top.
Closeup of the body. Shortly after I finished the guitar, a crack opened up in the spalted top.
Ben Castellana

Post by Ben Castellana »

A few more construction shots.
Attachments
The re-finished right-handed Les Paul.  I'll assemble this one at some point.
The re-finished right-handed Les Paul. I'll assemble this one at some point.
Using the drill press to install frets - I unplug the drill press to overcome the urge to turn the thing on while pressing frets.
Using the drill press to install frets - I unplug the drill press to overcome the urge to turn the thing on while pressing frets.
A view of the neck with the cocobolo fretboard installed and the binding route.
A view of the neck with the cocobolo fretboard installed and the binding route.
Ben Castellana

Post by Ben Castellana »

My rig and a few favorite guitars at a recent gig. The sunburst Les Paul (finished 2007), Firebird (2009), '58 Flying V (2005), MIM stratocaster, and Mesa Roadster amplifier.

I also built the white 4x12 cabinet to replace my Mesa/Boogie 4x12, which weighs over 100 lbs. The new cabinet is built like an aircraft wing - thin plywood on ribs and filled with foam, and has neodymium speakers. It weighs less than 50 lbs.
Attachments
IMG_0292 (Small).JPG
Ben Loutrelle

Post by Ben Loutrelle »

I like the blue top on the righty!
Dave Locher

Post by Dave Locher »

What did you use for the stain, and what are your thoughts on how it worked for you?
Robert Smallwood

Post by Robert Smallwood »

I like the way you've managed to fade in both bursts. Are you spraying or using the D Myka rag on a stick method or something other?

Nice jobs.
Ben Castellana

Post by Ben Castellana »

Thanks, all; of course, the righty gets the most attention (I'm really pleased with how that one turned out the second time around BTW). The stains are Stew MacDonald ColorTone liquid stains; I really like the boldness of the colors they offer. For both of these guitars, I accented the grain by staining the top with a diluted color (stain + DI water) directly on the wood. For the red burst, I stained with red, and for the blue, I stained with purple, then blue. I sanded the stain back after each application to try to build some depth to the figure. For the red sunburst, I then stained the top with a bright yellow, then sealed with water-based polyurethane. The blue one has a much more complicated history, since I finished it like the red one, then sanded it back almost completely several years later.

I've tried a couple of methods for sunbursting and fading, including spraying with a cardboard cutout several inches from the body and eyeballing it. The sunburst on the red guitar was done with a detail gun using a cutout; there is still way too much overspray on that guitar for my taste. The sunburst on the blue guitar was done by hand with a Paasche hobby airbrush, built up in three or four coats. I'm still not completely happy with the airbrush because the polyurethane viscosity causes some unevenness and spattering. I'm thinning the polyurethane quite a bit, which is why I have to use so many coats to build the sunburst; perhaps I'll develop better control with time and experience. I've completely given up trying to fade with my HVLP guns, though.

Still learning and borrowing whatever I can from the contributors to this site (thank you all, by the way).

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”