downtuned tuning problems with a six string electric

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jason Rodgers

Re: downtuned tuning problems with a six string electric

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Excellent! Did you have to drill out the 6th tuner post? The 7-string set of Hipshot Griplock tuners I got were a standard 3x3 set with a 7th left-side tuner thrown in: it was obviously drilled out at the factory, and not made that way, as the hole is not black and there was a little brass swarf on the shaft. Sure am glad I didn't have to do that, since it would be easy to f-up the locking mechanism. If I did find a tuner post hole too small, I'd probably nibble at it from both sides with a cone-shaped grinding bit in the Dremel.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
John Sonksen

Post by John Sonksen »

Jason Rodgers wrote:Excellent! Did you have to drill out the 6th tuner post? The 7-string set of Hipshot Griplock tuners I got were a standard 3x3 set with a 7th left-side tuner thrown in: it was obviously drilled out at the factory, and not made that way, as the hole is not black and there was a little brass swarf on the shaft. Sure am glad I didn't have to do that, since it would be easy to f-up the locking mechanism. If I did find a tuner post hole too small, I'd probably nibble at it from both sides with a cone-shaped grinding bit in the Dremel.
I didn't have to drill out the tuner post actually, it was close though. I would not have been thrilled about that especially doing it by hand.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Nice to see you and the Mrs. today, John. That set of strings is just what the doctor ordered. I might need to check them out myself.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.
John Sonksen

Post by John Sonksen »

Jason Rodgers wrote:Nice to see you and the Mrs. today, John. That set of strings is just what the doctor ordered. I might need to check them out myself.

Good to see you too Jason and thanks again for your gifts! I have to say I'm going on a couple days here and it's holding in tune, it's a huge relief for me and I would definitely recommend them.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”