Mario Labonte's Explorer guitar

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Mario Labonte

Mario Labonte's Explorer guitar

Post by Mario Labonte »

It's been a long time since I posted something here. So here it goes. Finished this baby a week before Christmas. I used Ronald Trigo’s laser cut explorer templates for shaping and routing.
Korina body and neck
Ebony fretboard , 24.562 scale
Seymour Duncan JB at the bridge and Jazz at the neck
Gotoh tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece
Sperzel locking tuners
Mother of pearl inlays
Bone nut
Plastic pickguard, cavity cover and truss-rod cover
Stainless steel frets
10 coats of Tung oil

The neck has a 1.5° degree angle. It’s depth and width is pretty close to a PRS wide fat neck and I really like the feel of it.

I wasn’t sure about the pickups but a friend of mine had the same kit installed in his Epiphone Les Paul and it sounds really good. So I gave it a shot and I’m really please with what I hear so far

The guitar is surprisingly not that heavy (7.6lbs) and because of its shape is very comfortable in standing position. It was my first time working with korina and found it was pretty easy to work with but it dings and dents like crazy. Anyway, I still have plenty left for another project
Attachments
Explorer-Front3.JPG
Explorer-Front2.JPG
Explorer-Front.JPG
Mario Labonte

Re: Mario Labonte's Explorer guitar

Post by Mario Labonte »

More pictures
Attachments
The exclamation marks are back!
The exclamation marks are back!
Explorer-Back2.JPG
Explorer-Back.JPG
Mario Labonte

Post by Mario Labonte »

Last one
Attachments
Ebony headplate and backstrap
Ebony headplate and backstrap
Ben Castellana

Post by Ben Castellana »

Very beautiful guitar! I really love the look of the clear-finished 1958 Explorer and V. As ahead of their time as they were, I also think that they express a kind of naive vision of the future that reminds me very much of the "Ray-Gun Gothic" films of the same era.
Markku Nyytäjä

Post by Markku Nyytäjä »

That's a classic. Really nice workmanship. Congratulations!
Mario Labonte

Post by Mario Labonte »

Thanks a lot for the kind words Marrku and Ben!
Marko Ursin

Post by Marko Ursin »

Although it's a shape I wouldn't play myself it's a very well made one! Looks good.
Marko
Ben Loutrelle

Post by Ben Loutrelle »

I love that heel cap detail!
Mike Baker

Post by Mike Baker »

Beautiful job!
Regarding the pickups, those two(Seymour Duncan sells them in a boxed set called the "Hot-rodded Humbucker" set)are my absolute favorite pairing for an electric guitar. Really hard to beat, IMHO. Congrats! Nice git!
Nathan Noel

Post by Nathan Noel »

Looks great... Love Korina... My go to guitar is an all Korina Super strat type notes just bloom from it.
Eddie McRae

Post by Eddie McRae »

Nice job! I've never been a fan of that body-style but you certainly did it justice! BTW...regarding your pickup choices, I built a thinline T-type a while back and used a JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck and I was very pleased with the results. So I'm sure, you'll be happy with your choices.
Mario Labonte

Post by Mario Labonte »

Thanks for the good comments guys. It's really appreciated

The body look may seem odd to some people but once strapped on it feels really good. Try one at your next visit to your favorite guitar shop. You might be surprised!

Those pickups, the more I play them the more I like them. Great sound
Ben Castellana

Post by Ben Castellana »

I built an explorer about 2 years ago, and I was surprised at how comfortable it was to play. I'm left handed, so there aren't any lefty explorers out there to play in the store to get a sense of how it would feel. They have great balance with good upper-neck access, and I like the toggle switch position. I do wind up banging the upper-rear corner of the body on things because I don't expect it to be there - you'd think I'd be used to it, with my playing Flying Vs for the last 30 years, but a V hangs differently.

Again, I think this is a gorgeous guitar. Beautiful wood, great execution, and I love the 1950s-style finishing.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”