Help for a Binding Virgin

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Jeff Mills

Help for a Binding Virgin

Post by Jeff Mills »

Ok so I successfully bound a couple of F holes in a top with ABS binding and block sanded the binding flush with the top to 400 grit. Now I need to prime and paint and clear coat. I'm using lacquer for finish. I think you know where this is going already...

I can tape the inside of the binding to keep the primer and paint off but what about the edge of the binding? Do I just sand in between coats till the edges are exposed and clear? what if I get a little paint on the inside of the binding by accident do I use a little denatured alcohol or mineral spirits to clean off the paint or maybe lacquer thinner? I know not to use acetone as it will eat into the binding. I guess I could just sand the paint off too with maybe 600 grit? I really don't know this is my first time binding with ABS plastic.

A little bird dogging in the right direction would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Experience is a strange thing - You get it right after you needed it.
Steve Senseney

Re: Help for a Binding Virgin

Post by Steve Senseney »

After you do your final color coat, you use a small scraper to clear the paint off of the binding. When it is sufficiently clean, then you put on your clear coat finish. This should be sufficient to blend the edge where you scraped.

As to the "small scraper"-- If this were the edge of the guitar, you could use a razor blade held in your fingers as a depth guide.

You can use a sharp chisel as the scraper. Again, you will need something to help as a guide.

Depending on your F holes, you will need to work carefully to make them look good.
Jeff Mills

Re: Help for a Binding Virgin

Post by Jeff Mills »

Sounds like it's time for the magnifying head gear again - I wonder if I couldn't make up something with a slit in a dowel and just the the tip of like a stanley razor blade exposed. or... maybe I could make some scratch stock, god knows I got plenty of spent bandsaw blades from the sawmill to use for scratch stock. you got me thinking... I'm sure I'll come up with something.

So no chemicals then... just scraping, then clear coat - got it :)

Thanks for the reply
Experience is a strange thing - You get it right after you needed it.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”