Adding a logo/insignia to a head

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Ryan Michka

Adding a logo/insignia to a head

Post by Ryan Michka »

I'm just about finished with the neck I've been building and I was wondering what ways people apply logos/insignia to the custom builds.

I know that using adhesive transparency paper is a common method but are there any other ways? Some sort of pen? Paint? Etc

Thanks
Nathan Dodd

Re: Adding a logo/insignia to a head

Post by Nathan Dodd »

The three common methods (although the last isn't exactly common these days) are Shell inlay such as Gibson, Waterslide Decals (available from many places and customisable) such as Fender or a separate logo cut, carved or engraved and attached to the headstock. pens and paints can react with your chosen finish so you would have to check for suitability before applying I would say.
Rob Carty

Post by Rob Carty »

+1 on waterslide decals. They're easy and look great, especially on light finishes and especially under a clear coat. There are some folks on eBay who will customize them for you at a pretty low cost.

I've used Sharpie marker pens over nitro lacquer with good results. I believe Melvyn Hiscock features this method in his book.

I've also used transparency sheets. While the printing came out really sharp, the sheets have a thickness that's hard to hide.
Warren May

Post by Warren May »

Check out John Kingma's headstock. I think they are really cool.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”