First build advices

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
strident.silence

First build advices

Post by strident.silence »

Hi,

I'm getting my first guitar build and need some advices regarding the specs.

It will be a flying V (gibson style). It will mainly used for metal, but I want it to be as versatile as possible. Probably a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
in the neck. Not sure about the bridge pickup. Ebony fingerboard. Probably a 25.5 scale. Neck-through and string-through.

I'm not sure about the tonewoods.

Mahogany body and neck with walnut top or

Alder body, maple neck, walnut top

I also want the body to be balanced. Thanks!
Jim McConkey

Re: First build advices

Post by Jim McConkey »

Hi strident.silence,
Please note that we require the use of real full names (first and last) on this forum, and do not accept aliases or "handles". Please let myself or one of the other staff members here know your name either here or in a private message, and we will update your username and login details for you (you are not able to make these changes to your account yourself).
Thanks.

By the way, we have not one, but two, Flying V plans for sale if you all the necessary dimensions.
MIMForum Staff - Way North of Baltimore
Art Davila

Re: First build advices

Post by Art Davila »

Do you have a link to the plans? I could not find them in the book store
I have a lot of experience on how "not" to do things.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”