ZoldosCustom 5 string bass

Please put your pickup/wiring discussions in the Electronics section; and put discussions about repair issues, including "disappearing" errors in new instruments, in the Repairs section.
Andrew Zoldos

ZoldosCustom 5 string bass

Post by Andrew Zoldos »

I haven't posted on this site in a few years, so here goes nothing. I just finished this bass up a few weeks ago. I built it during breaks and lunches at the custom cabinet shop that I work at. Here are the specs:
- 5 piece body ( Cherry/ Ebony veneer/ Walnut core/ Ebony veneer/ Cherry)
- Neck: 7 piece (Maple/ Walnut/ Cherry/ Walnut/ Cherry/ Walnut/ Maple) w/ Bocote transition block
34" scale length, set neck construction
24 fret Wenge bound Jatoba fingerboard ( 20" radius) w/ Wenge inlayed fret markers
dual action truss-rod with wenge cover
- Hardware: Carvin chrome tuners
Chrome dome knobs
Handmade Jatoba/ Wenge bridge with fully adjustable chrome saddles
String thru ferrules
Dunlop strap locks
- Electronics: EMG pickups with Cherry/ Wenge pickup covers
3 band 18v active eq. ( low/ mid/ high/ volume/ blend controls; active/ passive switch; low/mid/high boost)
- Tuning: E-A-D-G-C
It's been a while since I have built an instrument and I have had the hardware and electronics sitting around for quite some time. I decided to utilize my off time at work for something productive. I enjoyed building this bass very much. It was fun but a challenge; especially the bridge and scroll. Let me know what you all think.
Attachments
IMG_1381.JPG
IMG_1381.JPG (32.24 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
IMG_1380.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG
Andrew Zoldos

Re: ZoldosCustom 5 string bass

Post by Andrew Zoldos »

Here are a few more pics:
Attachments
IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1386.JPG (32.65 KiB) Viewed 6684 times
IMG_1383.JPG
IMG_1382.JPG
Dan Warren

Post by Dan Warren »

Oh, I like this. Really close to something I've had in the planning stages for a while now. I especially like the bridge; I'd like to know more about how the saddle adjustment works.
Andrew Zoldos

Post by Andrew Zoldos »

I'm glad that you like it. I actually ordered the saddles from an ebay store, I think it was Southeast Music. I ordered 5 individual bridges, similar to hipshots individuals but not nearly as nice. I then just stripped the saddles from the bridges since they were cheap enough that I didn't feel guilty doing so. I created a jig to route my own bridge to the exact width of the saddles. There is a set screw that locks the saddles in place once the intonation is set. They also have the standard up and down adjustment as well as a little side to side movement created by another set screw.
Attachments
chrome bass bridge.jpg
James Tonguet

Post by James Tonguet »

Well done
Steve Senseney

Post by Steve Senseney »

Nice guitar. I like the bridge also.
Andrew Zoldos

Post by Andrew Zoldos »

Thank you all for the compliments. I have always wanted to make my own bridge and never got around to it until this build. Now that I know how to go about it, there really aren't any limitations as far as string numbers, spacing, style, etc. Rather than paying an absurd amount of money for a custom bridge, I can now make my own. One of these days I will get around to finishing up my pickup winder so I can start making my own pickups. For now, I will just have to purchase them.
Jason Rodgers

Post by Jason Rodgers »

Nice lines, nice proportions, and a bottle opener on the headstock to boot! That cherry is tasty, and a clever solution for the bridge.
-Ruining perfectly good wood, one day at a time.

Return to “Solid-Body and Chambered or Semi-Solid Electric Guitars and Bass Guitars”